car went for a its service on saturday need new bushes at the rear and discs/pads is there anything else i should get done at the same time, the bloke said that they will do the rear bearings while the wheels are off?

What bushes/discs do you all recommend?

i'm presuming you mean rear beam bushes, and not the raer bushes in the front wishbone...

well, unless you go for poly bushes then you have to have a proper vice to put them in. so i'd go for powerflex bushes (make sure you get the correct ones, theres two different ones for mkIII's - one for plus axle (5 stud), one for non-plus/noram axle (4 stud)...also worth noting that theres another poly bush manufacturer called polysport (supllied by rally design)...but don't buy them as they dont do the plus axle bushes (despite sayin they do), as i found out).

also, its worth allowing the cost of a new brake bias valve as this has to be removed to undo the beam pivot bolrs and the bolts are often (well, they were on mine) rounded and theonly solution is to cut the valve off. thats if you hace one, i believe later cars dont.

just use vw discs and pads unless you have problems with fading brakes...in which case get uprated (if not, theres no point as you loose cold braking performance and usually a bit of pedal feel)

they are firmer than o.e.

i don't find it too bad, but if you have really hard suspension anyway it may be too much. can't you soften up your coilovers to compensate?

worth remembering that if you go for o.e. you won't be able to do it yourself as they require a special clamping tool that, i suspect, only dealers have. so will cost a lot more. i believe o.e. bushes cost about the same as powerflex ones too.

well i need the coilovers rock hard as the car is lowered poss about 80-100mm, lol. so if i soften it up, ill catch all over the place. ill probs just get the standard ones as i was going to go for vt wishbone bushes, but decided against it as apparently, they need to be welded into place. lol. so not realy a diy job for me.

yep, powerflex no their stuff, but always specifiy its for a plus axle (the normal axle has different bushes).

i tend to work it out from this page before ordering so i can double check...http://www.powerflex.co.uk/products.asp?cat=0037&catalog=0237

biggest things to be careful of..make sure you have kit PFF85-204 for rear of front wishbone, and PFR85-206 for rear beam

well i need the coilovers rock hard as the car is lowered poss about 80-100mm' date=' lol. so if i soften it up, ill catch all over the place. ill probs just get the standard ones as i was going to go for vt wishbone bushes, but decided against it as apparently, they need to be welded into place. lol. so not realy a diy job for me.[/quote']

well, if you go for o.e. the cheapest way to do it (if you're gonna do it yourself) is to buy brand new front wishbones as they come with the bush already fitted (costs £50 each from vw - gsf are cheaper but i dunno if they're as good/or come with bushes). and to remove the rear beam and take it down to vw and get them to fit the rear ones with their special tools.

oh, and i have a brand new wishbone with o.e. bushes sitting in my garage doin nothing ;)

thanks acf, i was getting the wishbones with bushes fitted from your advice in an earlier post, as this seemed the best route for me to go with having the susspention rock hard anyway. lol. also, does anyone know if the vibratechnics rear wishbone ones need to be welded in?