poss timing chain rattle above 1k

Guest bgvw

hi all i have a rattle about 1-2k coming from gearbox or timing chain area ,its a golf mk3 vr6 highline 97-r-reg.

should i worry or not .

also there is a coolant leak from the auxilery coolant pump,now can i replace a gasket or do you have to renew the whole pump .

any replies would be greatfull.

the cars done 50-60k by the way.

cheers.

bg

hi

The rattle could be a sign of a worn tensioner, but at 60k miles that would be strange as they usually last till gone 100k. It hard to say really without hearing it myself.

As for the aux pump, they are sealed units so have to be replaced as one - no gaskets. Just check its not a leaky hose/joint first though....

Jules

so how do you do this then, cos i have various rattles around my engine and have just come to live with it as the car seems to run ok, maybe a little underpowered but i think this is due to having an exhaust/k&n/fse valve fitted without a remap. (i know... lose the fse) lol.

The Phenolic pad starts wearing through at 83K on average, which gives you till 100K before the chain starts wearing the rivets away. The the phenolic pad then breaks up and bits of it drop into the sump. Nice.

60K sounds low but 1200 rpm is the speed at which worn tensioner pads are noticeable. It's a rythmic slapping noise with undertones of rattling marbles.

You'll need to lift the rocker cover and inspect the tensioner pad. If you can't seen any deep scores in it, you're OK.

[ Edited Sun May 23 2004, 03:09PM ]

Guest bgvw

hi kevin thanks for your replies i belive you also replied on the corrado forum,and yes the noise is like a rythmic slapping coming from between engine and gearbox ,do you have to remove both inlet manifolds to get the cam cover off.also is it possible to change the tensioner or pad with the cam cover off ,or do you have to remove the gear box to do this job.

cheers.

brian

Yeah it's a gearbox job off I'm afraid. The only things you can replace with the box in situ is the upper plastic chain rail and the tensioner bolt.

And as for the aux pump, they're sealed units so if it's leaking, that will need replacing too.