Hiya, did you definately track all that play to your wishbones then? Cos you've picked a bitch of a driveway job (that's why i'm paying for it lol). Either way, you're going to need a balljoint breaker, collection of sockets, jemmy, one or 2 big mates, and a whole lot of hassle lol

Howdo

I personally don't know about the actual wish bone but I have recently changed springs/dampers (with help from my matey mark) on my corrado, similiar i think in some respects to your mk3, i would say your going to need spring compressors as well to disconnect the strut from the bottom of the whish bone.

If your are still up for the job I would personally change the anti rollbar bushes as they get a lot of abuse, and if your pockets are big enough replace the standard rubber bushes with uprated jobbies, if the strut is loose why not change the top mounts as well, mine were £11 each from gsf.

The main grief we had in doing the job (apart from the rain) was the two nuts/bolts that hold the strut in place were slightly seized, which meant much swearing and a lot of effort with a big old torq wrench.

I think its the kind of job you can do by your self but if you have someone with you it will be a lot eaiser.

Oh btw once i had changed the top mounts my tracking was way out, the camber was too but that was due to the lowered springs, so you might be facing a re-alignment bill as well...

Good luck

Geoff

Devildub_06 no not been home yet just antisipating the inevatable realy.

starting to sound like a garage job now as im to dam lazy and short tempered to be fcuking about with seized parts i do enough of that at work to last me a life time.

the balljoints are built into the wishbones on a mk3 so will need a splitter.

so what i will prob need to order is

wishbones

antiroll bar bushes possibly uprated

ball joints

Yeah, if the balljoint is incorperated into the wishbone, you will need a breaker as you say, but it will be a bit awkward to get to i'd imagine.

You won't need to remove your struts, unless of course you fancy doing the top mounts, and if you're doing all your track rod ends, then the best way of getting them within the ball park is to count the number of turns to take the old ones off, and refit in the same amount of turns. I'd also still have a full alignment and track jobe done, and she should all be better.

Good luck to you (if you have any joy, might give me some enthusiasm to do mine) :D

Ciaran, how did you get on with your wishbones? If you haven't done them yet, just to let you know that you may have to drop your sump to do the driver's side (mine are done hoorah!!), other than that, quite a nice job, and the difference is unbelievable, mine must have been really fucked!! Anyways, good luck to you. :D

not done it yet mangold is busy till tue so won't get to do them till im back from offshore on the 16th.

someone has done mine before and has altered the sump slightly with a hammer so the the sump don't have to come off. u do it yourself??? how long did it take and any special tools needed????

Nah cheated!! Got wishbone set from GSF, went to do it myself, saw the sump was in the way, so thought bollocks to it, took it into Rapid Fit, and they threw in decent oil for free because they took it on with out realising they had to drop the sump lol!!

When I went to do it myself, the only special tool needed was essentially a ball joint breaker, the rest is just bolts.

Good luck!!!

easy then did it hadle alot better once u had done it???

my mate recons we can split my ball joints witha big long metal bar and a bit of brute force don't fancy it myself.

may just buy a ball joint splitter!!