After a long painful wait to get my engine back i had been told to take it easy for about 800 miles until the engine wears in a bit. i had driven just over 400 miles and now my brand new engine is tapping away like its done 80,000 , it sounds similar to the sound of tappets when an engine has done loads of miles NOT 400, I can't get it back to the garage till Monday, any ideas what it is?? At this rate i might be stuck with the back up car ,which is a Fiat Punto &|

may sound stupid, but have you checked the oil. cos i had pretty much no oil in her and she ran fine barring the rattley noise which i thought may have been the tappetd, gave her a good going over and after topping oil up, the noise went. but thats about as far into engine troubles i can dig, lol.

yeah i was hoping thats all it was but the oil is on max, i'm gonna leave it stood over the weekend and freewheel it down to my local garage on Monday, just want to put my mind at rest that nothing serious/expensive is buggered although it looks like it might be the case

they are nice strong engines as long as you aint thrashed it with it tappeting loud it should be ok but defo best idea to leave it to experts its probably just a faulty oil pump and tappets get noisy even if oil is low .i keep fingers crossed for ya.

luckily i only drove it about 200 metres when it started tapping so i hope the damage is minimal, it does sound like a lack of oil problem to me but i'm far from being a mechanic, well at least my car looks nice on the driveway, shame it doesn't move anywhere!!

good news, Andy from Awesome Gti drove 50 miles from Warrington to Leeds where I live to have a look at my car, if that isn't excellent customer services i don't know what is,poor guy had about 80 miles to drive back too, it was just a faulty hyrdraulic lifter, it won't cause any damage and he'll obviously repair it for free under the guarantee, i'm happy again :)