Yo - had a new water pump fitted about a month ago but its started to leak again...

Instead of driving all the way back to the place that fitted it I was gonna have a go myself cos Im planning on having my brakes re-dressed at Hi-Spec at the weekend as they are starting to warp and the following Friday Im driving to the ring so what Im asking is if I could get the car on some ramps is it an easy job to change the water pump?

Cheers

u dont need to get it on ramps m8.. basically u have to support the engine wiv a piece of wood as wide as the sump on a jack, then undo the front and rear engine mounts, then jack up the engine slowly.. be carful of the exhaust against the underside of the bulkhead. jack it up far enuf so u can see the water pump pully. then its 3 alan key bolts wich u can see thru the pully.

You have to loosen the the engine mounts and jack the engine at an angle using block of wood on the sump. It didn't take too long pumps only 3 bolts and u need a M8x80 long bolt to adjust the belt tensioner i use a M8 coach bolt and ran a die nut down it. You may need to undo the exhaust manifold i didn't. Obviously you'll need to drain some coolant.

It's pretty straight forward really the biggest thing is getting the bottle to jack the engine.

Sure i got my info from www.gti-vr6.net/library but i can't find it now.

Best of luck

Just been under the car as I couldnt get my wheels off cos some nob has rounded my locking nut key - seems that its not the water pump thats leaking, looks to be dripping out of the middle somewhere as 1 of the air con pipes is wet from something dripping on to it from above and above it is a small wet patch but I couldnt really make out where its leaking from

Didnt look like there was a hose near the leak - Im taking it into my local garage on sat and I'm gonna check it out whilst its on the ramps - i did see some sort of small thermostat looking thing near where the leak was so it could be that which has a small leak - its not losing much water at the mo just annoying!