power

Guest GTiR

soz dont know much about german cars but im looking at a vr6 this week but ive driven them before and the handlings a bit soft whats the best set of springs to put on just to stiffen it up a bit.

Golf are all 2.8 unless rebored, Corrados are all 2.9 also unless rebored. ODB1 or ODB2 doesnt make any difference to power output, according to VW, but rumour has it there is a bit more poke to an ODB2, but on ODB1 you can make this up by fitting an enlarged Throttle body, pinched off a 2.9 Corrado. Not an expert but thats what i gather from this forum. Do a search on ODB.

The earlier golfs are called OBD1 ("on board diagnostics") which refers to the ECU. Later golf vr's from mid '95 onwards are OBD2. Earlier golfs put out 174bhp standard and OBD2 put out ~185-190bhp (although there are no official figures for some reason) - but the OBD2 has a bigger throttle body, inlet manifold and self learning ECU. Both OBD1 and OBD2 are 2.8 litre. Only the corrado's came in 2.9 litres but all of those were OBD1 and also had 190bhp.

the only difference between the 2.8 and 2.9 is bore and stroke.

my obd1 golf vr6 made 184bhp stock, they usually seem to make slightly more power then vw figures.

as for springs i ve just put a set of -30mm on that has made it look a whole lot better and stiffened it up slightly as well