good god i hate you(me wants)

iam still waiting for the weather too be better so i can put my summer wheels on,i bought a very cheap set off 312mm in januar on ebay 300 euro´s complet shipped and everything(i haven´t got 16" winter wheels yet so have too wait).

can we hear the price ore is it a classified.

Cheers guys....

The disc is actually smaller than the 312 believe it or not! It's a 304x28 drilled rotor with 48 internal cooling vanes. I always thought discs were discs but these are unbelievable. Amazing quality and strength.

The 312 setup weighs 15Kg per side, these bad boys weigh 10kg per side and you can really feel that in terms of handling and pulling away from the lights.

Price is rather painful at £1300+VAT. You get the occasional set appear on ebay but they're rarely for a VW, but the calipers can be used from different kits, so long as they're CP5200.

There are cheaper kits but none have quite the stopping power of AP Racing :-)

APD, LOL, you mean the 'rumble'? They're pretty quiet actually mate, I only hear them slightly with medium pressures pulling up behind traffic, otherwise they're silent ;-)

There's a MK3 Golf S/C at Stealth with TAROX brakes that have about 1mm clearance from the wheels, if that, LOL! Is that yours?! :-)

Mattverth, not sure mate. I've driven my mate's Leon Cupra R, which has the big old 328mm Brembo setup and they're very impressive, but mainly because that car has a better chassis and better braking anyway. VR6's have very dead pedals with little feedback, so it's hard to say if the APs are better but if my research into brakes before choosing AP is anything to go by, then I would say they are a lot better than Brembo. A lot of Evo 7/8/9 drivers dump the Brembos in favour of AP as the Brems just aren't man enough for the track apparently. AP were born from the track :-)

Wilwoods look great too and they're very light but I don't have any experience of them.

that weight saving,is like taking 100kg off the car.

so ofcourse you can feel the diff.

that pedal feeling you have kev,that meight be du too your car being born with the 280mm,cause i had 2 vr before this one and they where both like that,but this one beong oe 288mm is 100 times better then they old setup,maily being they are 25mm thick rather then 22mm.

i like it that yours is 28mm,that whould men they can with stand some heat.

good iam jullis you have all the goodis i want charger,nice very light wheels H&R(iam saving at the moment but it keeps breaking down on me so it´s a very long way yet)only minus your cars it´s not 4 wheel driven.

but then again your starting point is a don´t maybe 10000pounds lover then mine,i payed around 9000euro´s just soo i could get danish plates one,the car cost 5800euro´s last may in hamburg.

Yeah the 280 setup has a nasty long pedal. I remember quite a few years ago when I had MK2 Golfs, I test drove a Golf VR6 for a mate and I over shot a junction when pressing the pedal in the VR6 the same amount I would in the MK2. Absolutely diabolical brakes for a performance car.

Maybe the 288 setup has a different servo / Master cylinder?

I'm happy with the pedal I've got now, could maybe do with a bit more life in the first 10mm of travel though, but otherwise it's very firm.

4x4, hmmmm, not sold on that. I'd rather get a car that's already got it fitted! It only gives you more traction anyway, not more grip.

Yeah the 280 setup has a nasty long pedal. I remember quite a few years ago when I had MK2 Golfs' date=' I test drove a Golf VR6 for a mate and I over shot a junction when pressing the pedal in the VR6 the same amount I would in the MK2. Absolutely diabolical brakes for a performance car.

Maybe the 288 setup has a different servo / Master cylinder?

I'm happy with the pedal I've got now, could maybe do with a bit more life in the first 10mm of travel though, but otherwise it's very firm.

4x4, hmmmm, not sold on that. I'd rather get a car that's already got it fitted! It only gives you more traction anyway, not more grip.

[/quote']

i have heard that too the 288mm,the inside off master cylinder is diff.

so iam very exhaitet too fit the 312mm in a coupel off days :D

but the ekstra weight does conser me.

kev in another tread i aksed you for the part number too the gearbox mount do you hav it(the solid one)

have you sold you 312mm setup

and today is the day fitting them after lunch

ill take some pic if some one will do a how too.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry mate, I missed that. The gearbox mount is just a standard one from a MK2 diesel, but I have since found the Vibratechnics one to give vastly better shifts.

Quick update on the Brakes. After the brakes had bedded in, I felt the supplied Ferodo DS2500 pads didn't have a particularly good initial bite unless they were really hot.

So after some research, I stuck some Pagid RS15 ("Grey") race pads in and they are unbelievable!! Although they are race pads, they don't have any of the usual race pad pitfalls, such as no bite until they a million degrees in them etc and they don't sand your discs to death either.

Great in the cold and are seriously bitey when warmed up.

They might even do them for the 288/312 calipers too, seriously recommended!

A run down of Pagid's different race materials here :- http://www.braketechnology.com/racecharacteristics.html

• 2 weeks later...