golf air recirculation noise

Hi everybody, I've been looking at the site since last august when I got my VR6, i'm just so slack that I have only just got round to signing up. I have a '97 R reg VR6 golf (not the highline) with air conditioning, when I put the air recirculation switch on a whining noise starts behind the dash, I presume it is a fan bearing but have never dealt with the heating\cooling system on a mk3, so would appreciate any help, rung VW dealers that say I need a £213 part !grr cheers people :D

cheers for that shail but I think this might be more than just a 'common VR' noise. It only seems to have started today, not that I use the button often, and it is screaming quite a lot but goes when you step on the gas. do the VR's have a seperate recirculation fan you can change in the dash?

Now then now then,

I had the exact same 'problem' with mine for several months after I got it. I only use this when I'm following an oil burner or a farmer has just spread chicken $hit and it reaks. Although on a really hot day it might be useful to help cool the car down rapidly.

I fixed it by accident - I was well chuffed though! I was having a cursory under bonnet inspection and found one of those pneumatic tubes was disconnected, as it leads into the bulkhead between the engine bay and the cabin.

This tube's about 5mm wide by the way.

As far as I can remember it is more or less central but quite high up, just a couple of inches below the top of the engine bay. This pneumatic pipe provides the pressure to move the recirculation door in the ventialtion system. With it disconnedted I was getting what I expect is the same noise as you, which is just the pneumatic system struggling to build up any pressure because of the leak though the disconnected hose.

I think the pipe starts off in the inlet manifold, where there's obviously some kind of pressure difference which the pneumatics system uses to move stuff. Then it goes though a few bits & pieces under/around the coolant reservoir, and eventually though the bulkhead.

I hope this makes sense. If you want me to go and check to give you a better description let me know and I'll have a look at my engine - nae bother.