i got a golf 1993 i wanna get it lowered by 40mm all round just on springs, has anyone done this?does it rub?i have standard bbs 15" alloys?does it make a difference to speed or performance in anyway?

help me please i wanna join the lowrider club! 8)

you need more than 40 mm to be a low rider! :P;) if your gonna go to the trouble of fitting springs its worth buying a spring and shock combination, such as koni inserts and eibach springs, or maybe even consider a coilover kit? whatever you fit you will have to get camber and tracking re set up, whatever route you go you will find your car handles better and acts better under braking! standard suspension is notouriously lazy and soft! i put the FK Highsport coilover kit on mine, decent drop still quite soft for everyday use and only cost £380 + fitting and 4 wheel alignment, i also changed my top mounts while i was at it, save re doing it all again later!

You'll deffo find that if you run standard shox with just lowering or chopped springs your ride will be nasty and it wont handle correctly, you will probably buckle a rim or two and more than lightly you will punch a shock rod through its casing. Not to mention that the car will look stupid bouncing around all over the road and so will you smacking your head on the headlining all the time!

If you lower the car by more than 30mm you will have to invest in propper shox mate. You see, standard shocks have long piston rods in them and they wont take bottoming out. Just get some cheap ones Pi or something if you're on a budget. It's better than damaging the car just to go low for show! ;)