hi there.. i have this problem wiv my vr6. basically it was all running fine ecept it needs an idle control valve, and then it took a little while to start. so i thought nothing of it, then wen i drove a bit pulling away in 1st it started bunny hopping severly then after a few seconds it cleared and it was fine.. now it keeps doin it every now and then seemingly at random. i changed the plugs, did an oil change and the car acctuarly went alot better, but still does this kind of miss fire.. one thing i did notice is when it did it and i let my foot off the accelarator the revs dropped like a stone almost as if the engine had died?? it has me puzzled and would be greatful for any help you can offer!!

many thanks!

Could be a brake down in yer HT leads mate, fuel pump relay or yer coil pack!

Mine missfired for a while, gradually getting worse and worse, turned out to be the fuel pump relay.

There is more than likely another option i have missed, but they are the three i would go for first.

mine is still doin a spluttering/misfire type thing after the car has warmed up for 30mins or so, still havent managed to sort it...its fine when cold. Happened badly tonite as I was driving alot today and id swear there was a 'pop' from the engine kinda like a pop form you exhaust only at the other end!

update.. changed the dizzy cap and still does it!! god damn it!!

now i have tried putting some injection cleaner in and so far it hasnt done it.. fingers crossed!! it sounds simlar to ni-golf problem tho.. cause power wise it is fine still..

Thats all very well, but did you change the Rotor arm as well, the two should be replaced at the same time, check the end electrode of the rotor arm and clean or replace, next in line, is try taking off all the leads, still attached to the Dizzy cap and throw them...in the oven and cook until hot, hot that is to touch only not MELT! then remove and baste with WD40 liberally, at the same time use a few F words, then reinstall and try again... :P

What you've done here is remove the dampness in the leads and cap, the BMW 6 cylinder engines were prone to the same and this was the cure then..I've just had to do it to a brand new set on Magnecor leads and now its fine... try that and see how you go.. ;)