2.8 & 2.9 Throttle Bodies

Guest Pammibaby

Hi, could anyone please help me out as I cannot find information I require on throttle bodies. I have bought a 2.8 throttle body for a K reg Golf VR6 for my partner, he seems to think that the throttle body he wanted was a 2.9 one, even though his car has a 2.8 litre engine. Can anyone tell me what the difference is between the 2.8 one and the 2.9 one, and why my partner would want the 2.9 one for his 2.8 engine?

Please help me out.

Thanks

Guest Pammibaby

Here is some wording from the advert which was the throttle body I bought, could you please have a wee read and let me know if you think the 2.9 throttle body would be better than this one:

XXL Throttle Body VR6

--- polished show & shine version ---

The BEST way to get more POWER and SHOW&SHINE to your VR6!!!

In this auction you have the possibility to bid on a special modified XXL 2.8l VR6 Throttle Body. This special-part got mirror-glaze polished also outside for max show.

Maximum air intake is garanteed with this special worked and ported Throttle Body. It has been maximum modified to breath better so flows much more and improves your BHP and LBFT. Your Motor gets more power for acceleration, other tuning parts will work much better with this Throttle Body.

Here is a better discription of the special work at the throttle body:

The throttle body inside is not just polished, there is a lot of work in it. In the 2.8l throttle body there are partial load-edges, which makes the motor much softer for all the people. The interior cross section of the XXL throttle body was increased by maximum lowering and/or removing of the tapering (partial load edges) in the inlet and in the discharge opening by a maximum! Inlet and discharge opening were completely worked on, not only the large partial load edge within the lower inlet range. The inlet edge at the housing was additionally worked on and flattened razor-sharp. Thus it is now still aerodynamically cleaner and air in the inlet is braked still less and/or swirled. The passage became subsequently, highly polished, in order to reduce friction resistance and turbulences to an absolute minimum.

As a result of this treatment of the XXL throttle body is a substantially more direct responsing mode of the engine arises. With an original throttle body the responsing mode of the engine is rather co-ordinated with comfort by the assigned partial load edges. After assembly of the XXL butterfly valve the VR6 engine unfolds sportyness, passage ` from lower rpm` is now noticeably more present.

This XXL throttle body got also polished outside for a nice show&shine. Nearly nobody has such a shiny TB at his engine, so get this nice part !!!

(I know my english isn

Guest Pammibaby

I think it is definately bigger but what I do not know, is if the 2.9 throttle body would be better than the ported 2.8 one???? Will the ported 2.8 one make the same increase in BHP as the 2.9 one would?

I think it is definately bigger but what I do not know' date=' is if the 2.9 throttle body would be better than the ported 2.8 one???? Will the ported 2.8 one make the same increase in BHP as the 2.9 one would?

[/quote']

WOuld have thought the TB you have would be the better of the 2.

Hi Pammy, as Mk3Anni said, yours sounds like it has had more 'work' done on it, wereas the standard 2.9 TB although larger than a standard 2.8 TB is just that, 'standard'. It's difficult to say which would be better, the only way to tell is to fit it and see. Too late to get your money back but you can always sell it on if it's unsuitable. Not very helpfull I know. The blurb from the seller although excessive is mostly factual.

Ive seen this throttle body that ure talkin about and it looks very good.

The flow is at optimum levels because of the amount of machining the company done to the throttle body therefore in my opinion would definitely work much better than a standard 2.9.

Guest Pammibaby

Just wanted to thank all of you who responded to my thread. I am amazed at how quickly I got your responses and am really grateful for all the info I now have. I've certainly learned a lot about throttle bodies in 1 day.

Thanks again!

Pamela

Guest Pammibaby

Ha Ha! Take it there aren't many girls on here then.

A bit of an update about the throttle body, we have decided to keep the 2.8 ported & polished one but I found a guy on the internet last night who can take it and enlarge the butterfly from 64mm to 66.5mm, I'm not sure how I found this guy, all I remember is that it was on a Corrado forum, he is alpina@aol or something, has anyone heard of him as he does all the work on his own, he works for himself.

I've got an alpina one on my Rado, top work. I used to have intermittent stalling problems, these have completely vanished since fitting the new t.b. The t.b in conjuction with my BMC CDA is a noticeable improvement over stock.

Pammibaby just noticed ure avatar picture and realised ure car or b/f car looks very similar to one that runs bout my area.

You dont happen to live in Ayrshire do u????

If you do then your boyfriend will recognise my car and we spoke down at Eglinton car show a few months back there.