Are any uprated gearboxes available for the Golf VR? What engine mods required for potential 300bhp

Hi, I may be having my timing chains done at some point soon (unless the hydraulic tensioner fixes the problem) which requires the gearbox out. I'm getting a new standard clutch (which I've been told can withstand very good power - well over 300bhp.. is this true?)... but what about an uprated gear box... any recommendations and prices? I understand if I go the supercharger route - which I will be hopefully early next year (after the xmas spend!) - the standard gearbox is the weak spot - the vr engine should be fine so I've been told... up to about 300bhp, before forged items and thicker head gaskets are needed... below 300bhp it should be fine without internal engine mods or a gasket. If power is taken above 300bhp what engine mods are required - I assume the main thing is a thicker head gasket - at what point (what bhp output) will forged pistons / conrods etc be needed? Do any companies provide and fit VR engines with stronger internals already fitted, on an 'exchange' basis?

Also, does anyone know if the new ecu that comes with a C2 charger from Ultimate Tune is remappable - in case fine tuning is required or if more mods are added at a later date?

I understand the C2 kit comes with uprated injectors (helping to put out 280bhp is this true?) Also I know the following isn't essential, but is an uprated fuel pump such as Walbro or similar required to keep things very reliable and prevent detonation?

Thanks for any info. Bit of a long question! If big power is planned I believe I need to plan well ahead!

Cheers

Matt

for details of the C2 kit speak to ultimatetune (you can pm them on here) for gearboxes and uprated internals I'd speak to Stealth racing... I noticed on another thread you said you had a budget of £1k for a charger, if that's the case I wouldnt be worrying about strengthening the engine to take 300bhp+ because you'll be looking at a LOT of money both to get the car over 300bhp and to rebuild the box/engine. Most chargers will easily give you 260bhp+ and a healthy VR will cope with that all day long

Apparently, the part of the gearbox likely to give way after going turbo/supercharged is the diff. For 300BHP a standard gearbox rebuild using an uprated diff should be fine. Speak to the guys at Stealth Racing as they are #1 in the UK when it comes to VW transmissions.

As mentioned already, forget the power. It's the torque that kills gearboxes as the gearbox itself acts as torque amplifier (in a round about kind of way!) so if the input torque is already very high to begin with, then it will have it's work cut out, but for an arbitary figure, 300hp is the defacto limit for the 02A VR box and clutch. I would say up to about 280 pounds of torque is the cap.

I would recommend a rebuild of the standard box to replace worn bearings and synchros and to also replace the diff pins with bolts. As mentioned already, a diff pin flying through the casing is your biggest concern when upping the power and torque. The gears themselves are tough as war bunkers.

You might want to take the oppurtunity to fit a quaife whilst it's in bits. And on that subject, it's safer on the box to let it spin excess torque away. A quaife won't relent so easily and consequently keep the box under high load. However, treat the car with respect from standing starts and it won't cause any problems.

It's not so much of an issue with chargers anyway, since the boost builds progressively, unlike a turbo that puts immense strain on the drivetrain with one abrupt big dollop of torque.

Restrict yourself to 300hp with 280ish pounds and you'll be fine, but the box and clutch will wear out quicker if you regularly give it full bore launches off the lights.

When i had my charged VR, i ended up having a 3rd box put in it just before i sold it.

The car was running in the region of 275bhp and 235lbft.

Varying factors lead to the box failures.

* Broken selector shaft being the main culprit.

As said, the box should be good for around 280-300 lb/ft, but not only ower/torque being a factor, but also how you treat the box itself when driving!!

I'm notoriously hard through the gearbox (as some here may vouch) and ultimately that was the downfall where my boxes were concerned and not POWER/TORQUE.

Treat it with respect, because lets face it, the most VR's have well over 80k on them now and things are starting to wear!