Slight Sign of Mayo under Oil cap!!

Guest Quickshift

I know this is a sign of the headgasket going but what are the other possibilities? I have a 96 Highline with under 100K on the clock. What checks can you have done to determine what the exact cause is?

Guest Quickshift

THe thing is, this is the first Vr I have owned and I have had it less than a week! Everything seems ok so far,(no overheating as of yet) but obviously don't want to leave it too long if there is a problem. I drive it to and from work, half hour there, half hour back everyday and every night when I get home there is residue on the cap, not a lot but some. Seems a bit sluggish under 3.5k but as it's my first VR not sure if this is normal??

get a compression test done to make sure the headgasket is ok - if you do short journeys you will see a bit of mayo but 30 mins should be ok but if the cold weather probably doesnt help - most VR's are a bit sluggish under 3.5k rpm especiallty if you have a inducition kit fitted as it'll just be taking in heat and soak up the power

Guest Quickshift

THe guy who had it before me hardly used it so it was sat on the drive most of the time so I suppose an oil change is a good idea. I'll try it over the weekend. I just need to cover other possibilities before I take it to a garage cos they will prob just say it's the gasket anyhows.