[moved] Vr6 v 150bhp GTTDI (230lbft of torque!!!!!!)

Yeah the VR6 was designed in the 80s and the Golf harks back to 1974..... so 'knocking on a bit' is an understatement, LOL! You need to compare apples to apples to keep it fair and the 330D is in a different league to both the 150 PD and the VR6, both in terms of chassis technology, engine technology and cost.

• 1 year later...

My mate has a 130 ftdi revod up to 180 bhp and 400 nm but he still cant quite keep up with my vr the power drops off just when you need it and as for all that torque you ither wheel slin or tha traction controll cuts it off so not all of it is that useable!

Most modern turbo diesels have impressive torque figures but their oomph runs out normally at 4-5k rpm. I quite believe the TDI to have 230 ft/lbs torque.

Very tunable cars too.

Just had my car rolling roaded at stealth and it's now putting out 192bhp but it is putting out nearly 195ft/lbs torque (nearly 15 up on what it had before), so even though the bhp isn't that impressive I'm quite pleased with the torque as that is what affects acceleration as opposed to top end max speed. Most rally cars have huge torque but relatively low bhp.

if the vr has forced induction does that that mean a level playing field with the PD?as kev says taps are off at 4.5k.you can see why people buy them:economy/value for more/performance.if you aint got the vr bug buy a diesel!