VR6 vrs A3 1.8T

A friend of mine has a standard A3 1.8T which is almost an exact match power wise to my VR6. Got onto some dual carrage way and both booted it in third and fourth, my car has done 113,000 but I've always looked after the engine and have made some small mods, whichh have increased the power slightly. What I want to know how on earth does a 150bhp Audi keep pace with a 180bhp VR6 !!!!

The characteristics of the 1.8T give you most of your torque much lower down the rev range than the VR. Hence, upto 100mph they won't be much in it. After this the VR will pull away from it. The K03 on the 150 1.8Ts is woefully small and suffers really badly from heatsoak so don't perform that well anything past 120mph.

Horses for courses and just the opposite characteristics of two different engines.

tbh, as long as you get a good start, it should be fairly even to around 60mph, but a lightly modded vr6 should pull away from a 1.8t from there on. i've never had a prob with them but mine is a strong runner anyway. i'll be putting it to the test soon as my youngest bro has just bought a golf 1.8t, so we'll have a comparison soon!

in my experinces a VR should cream a A3T.1st 2nd pretty even,but soon as you hit 3rd a significant gap should occur.keep going and the gap will keep on increasing.its the same thing with STI scoobys when you're charged,but the gap is much more obvious if its nose tapping time!lol.

Seriously m8 your vr should blow the a3, i raced a golf 1.8t from a standing start, he was ahead of me by a cars lenght until about 50, once i hit third i left him so bad he gave up. we gave it 3 more tries with the same result.

Another m8 of mines got an a3 with a catback exhaust, air filter and remapped to 200bhp, i kept upto him on the motorway well past 100mph, my vr just had a bmc.

i dont mean to bring trucks into this but it,s the same thing

most bulk tipper trucks or trucks that go to land fill sites have

double drive units, general haulage singledrive iv,e drove 450 bhp 44tone bulk truck when we had single drive ones 380bhp

at 44tonne it would just pull away on the flat and hills by a long way double drive saps the power same with permanent

4wd u lads are right.. ;) by the way i dont love my truck..

pass the yorkey. :P

If the A3 was 4wd then things would be alot worse as the Haldex unit weighs a considerable amount. I think it's all relative, if you're in the right gear at the right revs... when the turbo on a 1.8T kicks in you do that that sudden boost.

Also, Jezza said 'the A3 just isn't a Golf'. I'm not sure what vein he meant that in i.e. the A3 is better than a Golf or vice versa but yes an A3 1.8T is basically a Mk4 Golf Gti (1.8T) with a different shell and interior.

I beleive there a 4 flavours of 'sporting' A3: 1.8T (150bhp); 1.8T Quattro (180bhp 4WD), S3 (1.8T with 215 or 225bhp & 4WD) and the later S3 (3.2V6 with 240bhp?)

I think a vr6 should eaily see off a 150 or 180 1.8 turbo, my VR is completely standard and I made a 150 look silly and raced my friends 180 version and pulled on him consideribly after 80mph. The turbo on these cars is small and they are a bit heavier than the VR. 8)

However S3's are quite different, they use a bigger turbo (KSO4) and i think it would be a very close race between an s3 and vr6...