Oil burning - Newbie needs help

Hi i'm new to all this and have a couple of questions: B)

My 1993 140k Vr is using about 1 litre every 500-600 miles roughly &| - i've noticed that if i come to a roundabout lets say then pull away after ticking over for a few seconds i get a cloud of smoke (not sure on colour but probably blueish). Is this the valve stem seals or rings? :(

When i start up in the mornings i get a slight rattle from tappets then quiet - also no blue smoke when starting.

When i bought the car the dipstick plastic handle bit was broken (as they seem to do) I've replaced it with a new one off ebay but could this be too long and maybe i've overfilled with oil which is causing the oil burning? ?!

Last question: What is VAG.COM? Is it something i can buy or is it dealer only?

Thanks in advance!

Help needed!!

I'd guess its the valve stem seals, but I'd also expect there to be smoke in the mornings??

And VAG.COM is something you can buy, its a small computer diagnostic programme that plugs into the dashboard near the fag lighter. I've got it, but have yet to find a fault code on my car yet! few :D

What grade of oil are you using? If it's thinner than 10/40, drain it and fill up with something thicker.

You might have bore wear on cylinders 1 and 6, always the first to bite the bullet. Check your spark plugs for oil fouling. All 6 should be light grey and dry. Wet black ones indicate oil burning on it's respective cylinder.

That's the worst case scenario, best case is thin oil or a head rebuild.

K

strange that 1 and 6 are the first to go!i was under the impression when chatting to the main man on the vr6 owners club that the headgasket tends to creep around that end of the block as i had a bit of coolant weep coming from that end.i done what he said(torqued down the head and it cured it!i wonder if there may be an oil way/gallery at that end of the block which may let oil into the bores?i changed my exaust to a stainless system and notice my car smokes now!!!!!gutted!!!!anyone else had that problem????