WHATS FASTER

I would agree that it depends on whoose behind the wheel. All the BHP, torque and driver aids can't mask a poor driver. Whilst some drivers have the knack of making whatever they drive fly...

I have found the VR competes well against most hot hatches if driven properly but that's the key here 'driven properly'. Many drivers really have no clue about power bands, torque and the rev range of their car and so plant their right foot and rip through each gear and completly miss that all important torque curve.

hehe o dear that can of worms u can only really compare stock vs stock in these situaitions

these threads are a bit of a waste of time anyway as

a) there are so many factors involved

B) who cares?! you'll beat some cars and lose to others

is it me or does every other thread seem to be 'what can a VR6 beat'? B)

It's a different kind of driving experience but a rewarding one. Sure you can fit larger turbos, raise the boost, chip them to hell drive them on the edge but how long will they last? The VR can handle sustained high revs. There's also the image problem that cars like the RST suffer. If you're simply interested in speed then there's an array of machines out there from the RST to cars like the Nissan 300 twin turbo which although great and not much money to buy will keep your credit cards loaded. The VR (Golf) is a great all rounder that still offers respectable performance whilst being surprisingly frugal if driven carefully. Then there's the build quality and the image, for not alot of money.

image problem? i saw a banged up automatic n reg red vr6, with a lovely woman in it yesterday, i was hoping it had a vr6oc sticker in the back but no..hehe.

i think the mk3's have a good image, does anyone agree? some of the mk2 owners in harrow don't have a good image though.

I think the point here is not so much which is quicker, because lets face it there is many cars quicker than the VR. BUT how many of these faster cars are as relaiable and practical as the VR? Not many! The VR is a truely superb all rounder! and still does not look dated unlike many other hot hatches etc like the rs turbo, which imo looks really old now.

From actual experience a 'stock' G60 corrado would be eaten alive by a 'stock' golf vr6 in most situations. This is because of the fuel economy software that VW built in. Basically in the corrado the fuel is pumped through lean for a couple of seconds before delivering the full amount of fuel (this seems to be referred to as 'enrichment' by the g60 fraternity). What it boils down to is that if you have been trundling along and then floor the throttle then the car accelerates like a 8v but if you have been thrashing the car through the countryside (plenty of acceleration and braking) then the engine is in enrichment mode and delivers the full amount of fuel and the car flies.

Hope this helps to answer your question

Si (V)W