man i hope your joking about this issue or im guna come round your house and poke you in the eye with a large stick...lol

as if you compare a golf to a nova or corsa.....

if it bothers you that much strip the golf.....????

or just park next to the corsa or nova and look at them and say....ok now i know why i own a golf......

theyr lighter than most ppl think about 1200 kg on the road naovas and corsas etc r cornflake boxes your comparing apples and pears mate oh and 100 mph + weight matters alot less its more about power which if the 2l nova/corsa isnt modded to buggery u WILL leave over 100 mph

my mate has a courtenay 280/260 conversion in his nova and believe me when i say it will beat you all day long nerih, at any speed you choose to challenge it at! like rob says, its all about power to weight, and yes, his nova will crack 150 as well so thats not a point to play on eithere! tho its not my cup of tea, i do admire cars like that from other marques.

and on that last comment, that's the whole point, show them that sort of power increase and they'll eventually fall apart. I know of a chap who has a calibra 2.0 turbo engine ready to go into his nova. Oh yeah, once it's all fitted and 'chipped' he's thinking NOS. He also says he'll leave anyone on the road for dead. I agree, he and the engine will end up somewhere on the tarmac at some point.

Then there's the image side of things, the whole Dub scene is about cool, you look equally good cruising or taking it easy, Let's face it, I'd want my Nova/Corsa to be superquick as I don;t think I could deal with the stigma of being seen in one :P

he'll leave you for dead, more like he'll be dead,

i think you should compare a mk1 golf with a nova, or a mk2 golf...you can drop in vr6's into a mk2 golf, supercharge them, turbo them, the chasis will take 300bhp no problem...

there is a mk1 golf with 550bhp with nos and what not, nova's fall apart with that kind of power im sure.

• 2 weeks later...

the way i look at it is... there will always be cars faster than ours thats just the way it is. Some of us have charged VR's which are quick, put that against some of the tuned impreza's and the like and they wouldnt stand a chance.... its about how far you or the guy down the road with his Ford/ Vauxhall/Renault is prepared to go to get the ultimate power rush. Thats the fun of owning a modded car- you can never guess the exact power just by looking at the badge like a std car....

Im ready to acknowledge any car if the owner has put lots of work into engine wise it and it doesnt reak of fibre glass! (the usual chav crap!)

You could sell your VR and buy an impreza - then get wasted by a Calibra turbo with 400Bhp - i think the only way your going not going to get wasted is to buy a Veyron or something!!

Standard VR's were never made to be super quick road racers, more an autobahn cruiser. The cars design is over 10 years old and you cant hide that fact, advances in engineering mean newer cars sometimes do have better mechanical grip/more power etc etc...

Thing that i love about the golf (VR in particular) is that no matter how old it is it will always look good with a few subtle mods, the owners are usually cracking people and mod them in a subtle and stylish way..... the fact that mine and others has around 200 bhp is just a bonus in my eyes...

My friend has just bought an E36 M3, i took it out and its aged so much more than my golf.... the interior was rattly there was rust all over it.... suspension felt tired.... and it had less mileage than mine... but still i appreciate it cos its still a quick car but i know id still be 100 times happier with my VR! Rant over.....

Let's face it, most of us probably didn't buy the VR6 simply beacuse it was a 'quick car'. I think most of us knew what to expect and it's about image as much as performance, if not more so for some. Most of us of us have owned other performance cars, some far quicker than the VR but the whole VW scene is something quite different, just look at the Mk2 GTi and the MK1s also. The VW scene is attracting new enthusiasts every day and dare I say it, they come from the 'nicer' side of life, people who appreciate and recognize the quality and excellent value for money that these cars provide. Golfs, Rados etc are one of those cars that you can own and mod unashamedly and not be labelled Chav, Boy Racer etc. and one also that an older man like myself (34) is happy to own over most other exec hatches. Without trying to sound arrogant, I am lucky enough to be in a position where I could afford a 'better' car if I wanted. But I plumped for a

• 2 weeks later...

i owned a 325 sport e30 back in the day

lovely looks nice noise but vrs are even better allways had

vw,s in the past mki campain dropped in 16v gas flowed head

kept 8valve box that was 1990 would do 14.8 quarter even

then. mk1 1600 x reg corrado 16v loved to have kept the

campain that car set the ball rolling ive got a video of it at

avon park chewing a f reg m3 e30 and vrs at inters , but it

is not just our fast u can go i felt i needed a mature fast

roomy hach for wife and child an highline was purfect.ive had

6 yrs now if i was to change it,s going to be a 5dr r32

im in love with them at the moment but is it worth getting

rid of my s/c highline i get very attached to my cars is

that normal or do i need therapy.r32 mmmmmm.

The vr6 isn't too heavy at 1180kgs when you compare it to other hot hatches... for example S3's (4 wheel drive but close to 1400kgs) and Civics etc. Civic Type R's weigh exactly the same at 1180kgs and with a lightly modified vr you have approx the same power/performance. S3 does 0-60 in 6.8 and the Civic the same. I find my car (with just under 200bhp...with only an exhaust) is far far quicker than the average car on the road and no doubt (in the right road conditions could do a similar time to the latter two cars). But the big difference is it can cruise so effortlessly and smoothly. An S3 or VR are by no means the fastest cars on the road by they are "classy" which is the big difference. Plus I hardly ever get a chance to drive fast due to the time it takes to let the car warm up and all the traffic on the road these days... plus the mobile speed cameras round every corner. As they say...it's more cool to "cruise" than to "hurry" every where like a scared rabbit.

As mentioned already it's not all about power though..it's a classy car... and will always look good and hold it's age well. Novas and Vauxhalls are out of the VW's league.