OK so to confirm then you would only need the banjo clip if you are changing your calipers and brake lines i.e if you had 280mm brakes

If upgrading from 280mm brakes you need some front brake hoses from a later-type Golf VR6 (most people go for uprated Goodridge ones), plus the banjo bolt from the Mk4/Audi TT or whatever the brakes came off.

If upgrading from 288mm brakes, you ac re-use your existing front brake hoses. All you need is the Banjo bolt from the Mk4/TT.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

However' date=' I am a bit concerned about the brake bias - the front is obviously doing more of the work now and the rear gets a bit light under braking - even with decent coils to hold me down. Anyone have any thoughts on this - does the mk 4 rear brake upgrade help or not in this respect?

[/quote']

Yes, the 312s are a huge improvement. They inspire so much more confidence. Very true that the front/rear bias is changed by this setup though. Has anyone actually tried fitting Audi TT/S3/Golf 4Motion/R32 rear brakes onto a Golf mk3. It may not be possible since all the donor cars are 4WD and hence have a totally different hub arrangement incorporating the rear driveshafts. Those of you lucky enough to own VR6 Syncros might want to give it a try though!

all rear disc fit both front wheel driven and 4 wheel drive,i know this because i oderet a set for my friends 1.8t,so if you buy a rear hub,and the hub fitts they will go strait on.also all mrk 4 hoses fit all models minus the R32 front.this is what i know/have learnt from vw in flensburg.

• 3 weeks later...

4 longer bolts n909 99 701,they are 50mm,need too be recut too 41/42mm.

i could make thoose washers but iam i denmark and have holiday til after easter.

but if there nobody else will, ill do them,for 10 pounds incl shipping,you don´t send the money but pay vr6 pete them so i can up grade my membership.

i found a german site a coupel of days ago,with a complet set off oe numbers(typikol me i forgot the site´s name !sad ).

a lokal machine shop can do it in 15-30min. not very hard i just gor some normal bolts m12 in stainlees steel,but i think i will order those bolts so it´s all oe.

it was just an offer so no biggy.

well first off if you have looked at the brakes it only touches 2 places,so no real need for a spacer,hens the washer,second those allan bolts are crap compared to 6 edge bolts,the rear ones always brakes,when u change the disc,i can also get the allan bolts the only come in 3 diff. strengses 8.8,10something and 12.2,i always uprade my rear ones when changing cause oe are only 8.8 ore 10.something.and that number i have given is an genuien vw bolt only longer,it´s a good quallity bolt an it will still be a quallity bolt only resized.and too the washers again mine are made from ss,ore a good quallity metal.alu is okey but its soft compared to ss and others.

and iam not pay 50$ and 20-30$ in shipping,for something i can make better myself.

iam a machinst(turner)by trade,so iknow what iam doing when it comes too forming metal.

well first off if you have looked at the brakes it only touches 2 places' date='so no real need for a spacer,hens the washer,[/quote']

Dude, help out the guys who want to do this properly - you DO need a 6mm spacer when fitting these brakes. Stacked washers are an alternative to a 6mm spacer, but a poor alternative. With regard to "only touching in two places" yes! the pads only touch the discs in two places - one touch on each side of the disc - , so your better make sure they touch very well! - the spacers allow the brake pads to be positioned in the correct plane with respect to the discs, which is, well, quite a good idea!

my washer is not stacked it´s 6mm thick hens thats why i make them my self,it´s where the washers are used i that i ment it only touches 2 places,the bolts u link too is crap compared too a good quallity 6edge bolt,whitch i link to.

just fitted mine,the oe bolts on my 288mm brakes fitts just fine so no need for longer bolts,if you have 288mm as a start.

have std disc and ferrodo ds 2000 pads on mine now.

just bent the back plates abit and alls okey.

what the do you know about my bolt too say that,the oe bolts are normali too long goes true the part they are fasten on so they are 1mm short off going thrue that part again(iam very careful when it comes too my cars so please stop your icinuations just because i trashed you bolt and spacer link),i checked it first mounting the caliper holder without the disc so i could see how long the oe bolt goes true.

your short shift kit link on the other hand lokks like a good kit so hats off to that link.

i see your problems in the none mm countries,you must have it hard suring bolts and other mm stuff for your cars,soo this is just something that will ease you instalaytion off this kit,you should always check first before you off course put the kit on.but on mine i didn´t have too use longer bolts.as they where a little too long in the first place.

well i have also sized mine up yesterday and it will need longer bolts, i cant justify that 1 or 2mm leeway will be safe under pressure. they need to be the same as standard, or else VW wouldnt have designed them that way in the first place.

i WILL be using longer bolts as mat and kev and many other people have done so in the past, and it has been safe. why take any risks.

what the do you know about my bolt too say that' date='the oe bolts are normali too long goes true the part they are fasten on so they are 1mm short off going thrue that part again(iam very careful when it comes too my cars so please stop your icinuations just because i trashed you bolt and spacer link),[/quote']

This gets my first "ah yes" of the day...

The point is, is that there are many many people on this site who will take the information and mis-information posted on this site at face value and apply it to their cars without a second thought. If the application of your "info" leads to their brakes failing and any consequences attached to that, they will then be rightly justified in feeling that the responsibility will lie with you for posting that info.

If you feel that that info works for you, then great, but don't assume it applies to all owners and cars and don't come across like a voice of wisdom, because people will take your posts at face value. The vast majority of internet mechanics and mod shops on the net recommend longer bolts.

And its nothing to do with "trashing" my bolt and spacer link!

Be careful with risky posts like that.

i see you point,the german site where i saw the oe numbers one also says 7mm spacers/washers,but min sits dead in the middel with the 6mm washer. my washers are 25mm out side dia.6mm thick and 12.5mm hole,they have the same dia. as oe bracket so i looks very oe now.