• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For the washers, I'm afraid I don't have time to be middle man, sorry. I don't come on here often as I'd like to. Username Daves16v on the corrado forum makes the 6mm spacers (www.the-corrado.net) so it would be best to speak to him directly and he can then post them out to you.

Bolts - Most hardware suppliers (not B&Q!) can supply them. I got mine from a mate who happened to a buy a load of them from his local hardware place.

Discs - I just used Audi plain jobbies.

Here's a link to a 312 thread on the Corrado forum and there are pics of my installc, but it's dead easy, about an hour a side. http://www.the-corrado.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=28626&start=210

As a reminder, those that currently have 280 discs, you will also need the MK2 to MK4 hoses aswell.

Late VR6s that already have the 288s just need the carriers and discs.

One thing worth noting though, you will feel the extra weight of the discs when driving about! But it's worth it for better stoppers.

Cheers

K

• 2 weeks later...

Use Highline hoses from the dealer if you can't source the Goodridges, they're not that expensive. Or you can just get a Goodridge MK4 6 line set and fit the MK4 rear calipers too which are miles better than the MK2/MK3 ones.

Well, my 312s are fully run in now and they're absolutely awesome! I used to get into modern cars and wish the VR's brakes were that good, but now it's the other way round ;-)

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I got the Audi TT 312mm brakes fitted, complete with the correct spacers, bolts and goodridge braided brake lines.

The discs don't locate properly on the hubs though - the hole in the centre of the disc is bigger than the spigot on the hub. The only thing locating the disc is the wheel bolts, which I'm not at all happy with.

The brakes are making more noise than the engine and it looks like I'm going to have to take the car to Stealth for them to sort out.

This conversion is definitely not the easy DIY job it's made out to be.

That's not right. 6 or 7 of us on the Corrado forum have all used TT discs and they went straight on. Sounds like you were given the wrong discs.

All 4 and 5 stud 100 PCD VWs have the same hub spigot diameter (76.1mm?), so it's got to be the discs, assuming your hubs are correct and the standard wheels locate OK.

It *is* the easy conversion it's made out to be. You're the only person that's had this problem so far that I'm aware of, can't be sure what the issue is without seeing the car and bits.

That's not right. 6 or 7 of us on the Corrado forum have all used TT discs and they went straight on. Sounds like you were given the wrong discs.

All 4 and 5 stud 100 PCD VWs have the same hub spigot diameter (76.1mm?)' date=' so it's got to be the discs, assuming your hubs are correct and the standard wheels locate OK.

It *is* the easy conversion it's made out to be. You're the only person that's had this problem so far that I'm aware of, can't be sure what the issue is without seeing the car and bits.

[/quote']

I've spoken to Vince at Stealth (who is looking at the car next week) and he said the same as you.

I can only guess, then, that part of the hub came off with the old discs. I'll check tonight....

Took the car to see uncle Vince today. As well as sorting my fuel leak, he had a look at the 312mm front brakes I just fitted.

The Discs were the correct ones, and did, in fact locate on the hubs, but only by about 1mm. This is not what was causing all the scraping noises.

The noise was caused by the backing plates rubbing against the inside of the thicker discs. Bending the backing plates back did not resolve the problem, so they had to be removed completely. Vince said this is a common problem when fitting larger brakes on Golfs and that he almost always has to remove the stock backing plates when fitting Brembo big brake kits and Porsche setups.

This is not mentioned at all in the various threads on the 280mm-312mm upgrade, so for all of you planning on doing this upgrade - YOU NEED TO REMOVE THE BACKING PLATES!!!

Now that they're all sorted, I've had the chance to test the new brakes properly and.... Wow! The improvement in braking force and pedal response is staggering. A very confidence-inspiring setup. Highly recommended!!

Yeah I forgot to mention you need to fit the TT backing plates or remove the Golf/Corrado ones altogether. They're only there to stop CV grease getting on the discs if the boots split anyway.

They are not stone guards. Stones just get trapped between them and the disc, so i just binned the feckers.

Yes, they also prevent road water getting splashed up onto the discs. With the 312mm brakes they wouldn't have been any good in this capacity anway, as they are smaller than the discs!!

I'll keep an eye out for some TT backplates.

Good to have solved the problem, anyway!

You can definitely feel the extra weight in the steering although I'm not sure if the ride quality is affected as I went form 15" to 17" alloys at the same time which definitely caused the ride to be more crashey over bumps than it was before.

So I can't say whether it's being caused by heavier wheels/lower profile tyres or weight of the brakes. Might be better to go for 16" rims to try and preserve a bit of ride quality.

Overall they are worth it for the extra stopping power.

Fitting is the same as changing standard brakes, except for the use of longer bolts and spacers.