Is Sony Gay?

Guest couzens

Hi everyone. Need a Sony question answered. Got the standard 10 stack CD player in the back of my VR6, but it doesn't seem to like my pirate audio CD's. Everytime I try one it comes up with an ERROR message on the centre console. Wondered if it were broken, but it plays a normal CD from the shops OK. Is it that it is looking for a code or something on the CD but can't find it as it is a pirate? They all played OK on my last car CD player, a Goodmans, and play OK in the house. What seems to be wrong and how can I overcome it? ~:(

You shouldn't be using pirated discs!!!! Seriously mine did it too, ie skipped all the time and it only lasted for about 2 weeks until I bought an Alpine mp3 unit instead and I haven't had that skip ONCE in over a year, with the roads round here too moan moan lol - it also means that with my slimline cd thingy in the cubby hole I have over 100 albums in the car now too :D

Sounds like its on its way out m8......Mine did that just before it died, first it jumped for no apparent reason, then it just stopped playing cd :(......So I went out and bought an mp3 player, if you download music its the way forward...I can now fit about 6 albums on one cd..Saved me carrying lots of cds in the car, got mine from mcs direct and found them much cheaper compared with the high street stores :)

Adam with the Audi bought a Sony mp3 player for £180ish....good sound and it does what it say on the box.... Ive got a Sony cdx1000tf, has the same as the above but it has a tft screen with more advanced audio settings...I got it at a car show in the summer at a discount price £379..At the time they were selling the same unit for £599 in most of the car audio shops in Colchester...it has now come down in price now think its about £400, go on line as there alot cheaper..check out www.msc-direct.co.uk or bass junkies.com all of them advertise in that dodgy mag max power :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

no! we must all use pirate cds! I got sony too it works on most copies, some skip ocassionaly. Aparently its the CDRs rather than the playesr that is the problem. factory produced originals are of higher grade than CDRs - cos theyre burned to a higher spec with industrial power burners producing more reflective CDs. apparently the CDRs you burn at home arnt as reflective as these and there for dont always work with some head units that dont have enough oomph in their laser. same scenario as with PS1s - where sometimes the pot on the laser had to be turned up to play certain copied games. i guess you could open it up. Have a look turn up the pot (you can get pdf manuals off the net for most consumer electronics these days) - but be careful sometimes if its turned up too high itl play copies but not originals. its a cse of balancing it. like you say it might be less hassle buying a new one and mp3 option is better Good luck ;-)

Roop.

• 4 weeks later...

Ive got a sony single disc in my van. Boy is it picky! Discs that play fine first time whatever condition they are in, in the pioneer multidisc I have in the vr, are a nightmare in it. As long as they are cleaned off and wiped from inside to out they are fine tho. Thats even the cheapest cdr's from comp fairs!

[ Edited Wed Dec 24 2003, 03:10PM ]