Anyone know much about the Auto Gear box?

Mine seems ok some of the time, and other times it seems like it doesn't want to change up through the gears properly. it'll get as far as 3rd but doesn't like going into 4th.

Has anyone ever come across this before?

Yes you might need a new box I'm afraid. The 3rd gear clutch could be kapput or maybe the torque converter blades are bent. Can you select 4th manually? You might get away with a new gearbox ECU because they sometimes fail and don't govern the gearchanges properly. I was assisting a guy with a Corrado VR6 auto recently who had exactly the same problem and he needed a new box. He got a brand new one off eBay though for £600. VW will charge you £1200+VAT+fitting.

K

• 3 months later...

VR6 auto boxes have a known fault and only last between 50 and 80k depending how they are driven and looked after. If the box starts slipping in any gear it is dead. The only way to overcome this is to fit a new box (£2100+ vat from VW) or have a complete rebuild. I know this as I have just bought a 96 Highline with a slipping box and have spent a week on the phone and internet trying to find a solution. It is being rebuilt next week at a cost of £1125. Don't really mind though as the car only cost me £450.