I was looking at the specs for the R32 golf on the net the other day, and had a few thoughts about it....

Anybody know how far, practically, the 2.8 AAA engine can be bored and stroked ? And what sort of power can be seen from N/A tuning as opposed to forced induction ?

Just wondered if 32'ish power is accheivable from this engine ?

3.2 is pushing the boundries a bit and you would need a very well balanced engine to keep that crank going as its aparrently very unstable at higher revs, although it does allow you to rev to around 7.9K cool eh. thats a very expensive way to go with a vr, rather just put an r32 engine in a mk 3, or buy the r32 outright, lol.

i had one of these in mine not that long ago, very expensive way to extract power when compared to a charger, but mine did deliver in the region of 270bhp and 254lb/ft of torque. engine in the region of 5k's worth of mods and revved to 8k easily! sadly due to build/faulty components, it dropped a valve after 9k and due to circumstances i wont go into here, was eventually offloaded for a reduced price! wish i'd gone with a charger to start with tbh! was very fast and ultra reliable when done tho, till that fatefull day coming onto a slip road........

cheers nerih, have to say, even with only just over the 200bhp mark now, the schrick gives me a very early on "bigger lump" kick that the "3" had, and is a desirable element to my engine bay! if you really believe that there is no replacement for displacement, then it is the way forward! i will be considering a 3.0 rebuild over winter with my spare block if i get expected returns off my stage 2 v9 charger install!

Thanks for that guys :)

Ive got to get my chains done sometime soon (111 K), so I was toying with ideas about what I could do with the engine - so far Ive come up with possibly having the head flowed, chip of some sort and a pair of these....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/268-DEGREE-CAMS-FOR-VW-VR6-GTI-GOLF-camshafts-cam_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33614QQitemZ7992066469QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD2V

Coupled to induction and a cat replacement system, im hoping to see around 210-220 BHP mark with good reliability.

If I can ever afford the money for the charger.. should be in 300 BHP territory :D