I thought I'd had my VR6 for about 3 years, but I've just been going through the car file and looking at the paperwork It'll be 4 years in October :)

Anyhoo she's got 17" Fox racing wheels on (previous owner fitment) and been lowered I'd say about 30mm....  Never been able to carry two peeps in the back because the tyres catch the wheel arches with more than one person in there....

Also, the springs are badly corroded (advisory last year), and there's play in the top mounts both sides at the front (under the bonnet). So I'm thinking, go back to original suspension set-up, i.e. lose the 30mm and go back to standard ride height... Am I right in thinking this is just a springs swap all round? And if so, is there anything to be gained by harder/softer springs?

And - is the play in the top mounts normal?

Forgot to say, would the handling/ride be better with say 16" rims? (tyres look a bit 'rubber band' on 17's)

Many thanks in advance chaps...

Chilli :)

Edited by Chilliman
added wheel size question

Hi buddy.

Ok, yes recommend going back to sensible sizes wheels, 17" look good but will affect handling, to give you an idea I have 15" on my corrado with coilovers and handles exceptionally well!

If you have stock shocks with lowered springs then as you mention will not be the best! depends on your budget but a good set of coilovers on a VR6 (golf or corrado etc..) makes the world of difference - Recommend KW1's / Koni etc... 

Play in top mounts - can you describe? when on the ground the top bush will sit slightly proud of the strut, and when on full lock will see it sticking up more - its normal, but if you have forwards and backwards movement etc.. then would advise to replace top mounts if you are taking the shocks off anyway. 

Thanks Pete.... I think the strut thing under the bonnet is normal.... It's just up and down... I'll see what the guys say at the next MOT in October...... been like it for over three years now............

I'd like to go back to sensible wheels, whilst the 17's look good, I know from experience that fitting lower profile tyres to maintain a rolling radius will invariably result in handling issues.... the sidewall flex is an important part of the overall suspension setup......

So, can you recommend the ideal wheel/tyre combination? I have no problem with (for example) steel wheels and good grippy tyres.... I have 16" rims all round on the beast (TVR) with Toyo T1R's but these will get swapped this year with triple R's... (I live near Snetterton and do track days a few days a year) :)

Thanks Pete,

Chilli...

• 4 weeks later...