Car developed multiple misfires in one go.

Hi all.

Just been down to the rolling road. Car was and has been fine and never missed a beat since I've owned her.

On the way back, the car went lumpy and rough, felt like it was firing on 4 cylinders. Engine light flashed away.

Got her back now and stuck a scan tool on her. 

P0300 - Multiple misfires detected 

P0303 - Misfire cylinder 3

P0305 - Misfire cylinder 5

P0306 - Misfire cylinder 6

Now I could understand one coil pack going but not two or three in one fell swoop. This screams to me either bad luck OR fuel issue?.

No codes appeared regarding cps or MAF or anything else. Just the 4 above.

Any ideas chaps?

Cheers.

Edited by The Monk

So I swapped the coil packs around. Faulty cylinders worked and those that were working, misfired and threw codes.

I don't normally exceed 5k revs. Coil packs look dead and like the ones that the car rolled out the factory with. 

Exceeded 5k revs multiple times on the way back. Stressed old components.

What you say is true, Rich.

I forgot to mention that I did this on the way back, in 1st and 2nd gear after not running on that rolling road, merely a spectator. A spectator because I wanted to avoid issue.

So I was a good boy and ended up punished anyway lol.

What you say is true, Rich.

I forgot to mention that I did this on the way back, in 1st and 2nd gear after not running on that rolling road, merely a spectator. A spectator because I wanted to avoid issue.

So I was a good boy and ended up punished anyway lol.

Bet you feel cheated now mate and wished you run it on the rollers

Sounds like either coil / leads arching out. Usually happens under load I.e first / second.

Can't figure out what happened when you swapped coil packs as I'm too tired lol

I had a similar issue on my old VR6 and the problem stemmed from a faulty Lambda sender. After it had run for ten minutes the catalytic converter was glowing red!

Both my VRs have been hard on coilpacks and ht leads.