Strange noise coming from diff/driveshafts | Help please!

Hi there,

I've just changed everything drivetrain related to try and solve a noise that I cant work out. 

Theres a clunky noise coming from underneath my feet while i'm driving and I can actually feel it clunking under my feet too. 

I've replaced everything on the drivers side:

New driveshaft (well had 3 second hand ones in first) 

New Ball joint, drop links, hub and wheel bearing, track rod ends. 

Changed the gearbox yesterday to a good condition box because I thought the noise was my Diff but its still there so i'm completely stumped. 

I haven't replaced passenger side driveshaft as of yet but the CV's feel fine on the one thats in there. 

Anyone experienced this or know any idea of what it could be? I'm thinking about trying some thicker gearbox oil to see if that smoothens it out but that's the only idea I've managed to come up with after changing everything.

Any help is much appreciated!

Hi there,

I've just changed everything drivetrain related to try and solve a noise that I cant work out. 

Theres a clunky noise coming from underneath my feet while i'm driving and I can actually feel it clunking under my feet too. 

I've replaced everything on the drivers side:

New driveshaft (well had 3 second hand ones in first) 

New Ball joint, drop links, hub and wheel bearing, track rod ends. 

Changed the gearbox yesterday to a good condition box because I thought the noise was my Diff but its still there so i'm completely stumped. 

I haven't replaced passenger side driveshaft as of yet but the CV's feel fine on the one thats in there. 

Anyone experienced this or know any idea of what it could be? I'm thinking about trying some thicker gearbox oil to see if that smoothens it out but that's the only idea I've managed to come up with after changing everything.

Any help is much appreciated!

[/quote. I'd have said drop links or ball joints.

Is it subframe related?

3 hours ago, VR6Pete said:

Check engine mounts and bushes in lower arms and suspension, probably.

I had a similar clunk and ended up captive nut on sub-frame had snapped away so lower arm was able to move whilst pulling away.

Just put in new lower arms with r32 rear bush and polybush front. New polybush top mounts too. It sounds like something grinding while its rotating, exactly like a knackered CV but its not a CV confusingly. 

2 hours ago, Bealieboy said:
6 hours ago, mk3vrlouis said:

[/quote. I'd have said drop links or ball joints.

Is it subframe related?

New ball joints and droplinks, don't think its subframe related as it sounds like a moving part but they've all been replaced bar the passenger driveshaft. Might just change it incase theres a problem with it thats not obvious

• 2 weeks later...

Worn hubs or drive shaft cups on gear box. 

Has the car been lower quite abit? 

If the cars lowered a lot it could be anti-roll bar catching the chassis, lower arms hitting the sub frame. 

Edited by c00k
On 4/20/2016 at 8:08 PM, VR6Pete said:

It's exactly how I found out my captive but had snapped in the sub frame lol

On 4/30/2016 at 7:33 AM, c00k said:

Worn hubs or drive shaft cups on gear box. 

Has the car been lower quite abit? 

If the cars lowered a lot it could be anti-roll bar catching the chassis, lower arms hitting the sub frame. 

Turns out that the passenger driveshaft was shot even though both cv's appeared perfectly fine on it!