Immobiliser fault blocking start up

Guest M1K VW

Morning peeps,

Anyone had this and if so was it easy to rectify?

Fault code 17978 - "engine start blocked by immobiliser -intermittent".

Symptoms were engine firing up as normal but immediately dying. After about 10 attempts at starting it cleared itself. It's happened to me only once so far but I don't want a repeat!

Any help appreciated.

Cheers,

Mick

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

mine also came up with key signal too low. i asked vw and they suggest the pick up around the ignition barrel was fecckt.

The fault code 17989 ? was that from a snap on scanner or obd generic reader?

Im gonna replace the pick up today and see what gives.One of the techies suggested leaving the key in the ignition(with it turned on for about 20 mins) as this clears the same fault on the later(99) passats.

This thing is getting tedious now.Almost began to think i had put diesel in it.

Right, I got it going....hurrah!

I took the "chip" from the key and removed the pick up from around the barrel and put one inside the other, put the key in and it fired and held.

Whatr this tells me is the loop is screwed and ive a new one on order (

• 2 months later...

M1K VW, IcewraithUK, Millsy

If the suggestion by Guy hasn't fixed your problem.

Then what you need is someone with VAG COM to match your ECU with your immobiliser, very easy to do.

I had this problem when changing my ECU with one from a later MK3.

http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/cars/immobilizer2.html

Hope this shines some light on your problems.

• 11 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Your ideas look spot on. I've the same intermittant starting problem with a N reg Corrado Storm. This model uses the Motronic ignition system - does this still have a Hall Effect Sensor? If so where is it and how can it be tested and cleaned if needed. Once the car starts it's fine but I dare not go anywhere - apart from around the block - until this problem is cured. Any other ideas are welcome - oh the main and spare keys are the same and I've just fitted a new battery that seems to improve starting but still not 100%.

Many thanks for any advice.

Laurie