Mk3 engine swap with a vr6

I'm in the lookout for a vr6 3dr manual but as funds a low ATM and can't seem to find one sutible for a project I had a thought

What if I bought a mk3 3dr

Then bought a vr6 loom, Ecu, lump and box?

I know it will fit as I have done it before years ago but I was young and it was a family members car so didn't pay much attention

How hard is it? Simply plug and play?

Bare in mind I want a track themed car with stripped interior, roll cage

Then a turbo'd 12v lump up front

So all has to be stripped anyway as part of the project

Just is the suspension the same? Il be putting 312mm brakes on anyway

Just asking as I get a decent spec with rear discs, 5x100 hubs etc

I've been looking into this if I can't find a vr6 golf in the price range and local enough (when I actually get round to getting one)

I now know the clutch is only hydraulic on the gti 16v and the vr6 so that rules out all other models unless I'm willing to change

Now the work involved with this along with suspension, driveshafts I might aswell just spend more money on a vr really

So I've decided to forget about this and focus on just a vr or if a turbo'd vr came up at the time I'd possibly buy that

alot of people do this , i converted a mk3 golf 16v gti to a vr6 no problems.

The gti has a cable clutch so just remove this and place a rubber grommet in the hole in the bulkhead. A hydraulic clutch is easily fitted as on the gti bulkhead you will find a blanking plate held on by two nuts. remove this and fit you clutch master cylinder.

will need vr6 driveshafts but not hubs as gti is 5 stud aswell.

any questions just ask its not too bad at all,  all together i would say its easiest and cheapest to get a donor vr6 and a decent gti.

Thanks mate

So in one way it would be wise just buying a decent vr6

But on the other hand I might find a decent gti for cheap but still have to find a doner car to swap in

Unless I can find an engine,box,loom then find some driveshafts separate it find a breaking vr6

Either way it's going to cost similar amounts, and either way the vr6 lump will be rebuilt so it doesn't exactly have to be a minter. Same for body work although I can't be arsed with loads of rot

I wi co slider both options but i have to sort out the garden where the work is going to happen first, get all my tools together, so more work before the actual work starts lol

• 2 months later...

alot of people do this , i converted a mk3 golf 16v gti to a vr6 no problems.

The gti has a cable clutch so just remove this and place a rubber grommet in the hole in the bulkhead. A hydraulic clutch is easily fitted as on the gti bulkhead you will find a blanking plate held on by two nuts. remove this and fit you clutch master cylinder.

will need vr6 driveshafts but not hubs as gti is 5 stud aswell.

any questions just ask its not too bad at all,  all together i would say its easiest and cheapest to get a donor vr6 and a decent gti.

I have just had a mk2 built up from a shell with a vr6 put in great to drive but pain in the ass to try and get the correct road tax