VR6 No power upon turn of the key.

Hi,

Struggling to get an answer for this over a few forums and Facebook pages.

Basically, swapped an OBD1 mk3 8v, to a VR6. It started and ran fine for the first while. But now after about 2 weeks, bearing in mind it hasn't left the garage, it just won't start at all. It will bump start however when pushed.

The problem got worse and worse, having to the hold the key on start for about 5 seconds before it would even crank. Eventually it only started with a booster pack, but now won't start at all.

Tried cleaning up the earths, checking all relays and fuses, replaced the ignition switch, tried 3 different batteries, one from a brand new car, and tried 3 different starter motors. Also tried a jump cable from the negative to the block to rule out that earth.

Just totally at a loss as to what is causing this. All the lights and radio come on when the ignition is turned on, but as soon as it turn it to start everything goes off.

Something must have deteriorated, or come loose every time I started it.

Anyone with any ideas please help!

Was the new ignition switch definitely a goodun?

My VR6 would not crank over when you turnt the key to start, however, when you turn the key just to on all the ignition lights would turn on, pointing to a fault with the ignition switch.

To over come this I unplugged the plug that goes straight into the back of the ignition switch, stripped a small part of the thick red wire and also the thinner red wire with a black line on it, attached two wires so that they are accessible, put the plug back into the ignition switch, turn the key to on, touch the two wires together and it started first time. Might give you a definitive answer as to wether it is your ignition switch that is kaput!

Hope this helps.

Jack.

Fusebox is the 8v one with the VR6 loom plugged into it.

I'll give that a go Jack, sounds kind of promising. Bridged the starter yesterday and the solenoid is screwed, so just bit the bullet and ordered a new one.

It's an on going search for anything that could be wrong, but i'll give that a go and report back!

Thanks!

That is unfortunate that it didn't start!

Doing that with the key in the start position should have tried to at least crank the engine.

Even without the key in the ignition at all it should constantly turn the starter motor over. Interesting that it hasn't done that at all.

The starter motors that you have tried, were they working prior to fitting them?

I'm sure we'll get to the bottom of it eventually!

Car bump starts and runs fine!

Got a new starter, it didn't fit, one of the sharan jobs probably. Classic Ebay parts.

Had the old starter refurbished, works fine now. Still no power to the starter upon the turn of the key.

So back to where I started last week. Going to completely search the entire wiring loom for any faults. Has to be an earth or a short somewhere dumping current.

Thanks for all the suggestions once again!