Drove about 3 miles this morning and the water temp went from 90 (normal) to 110. Pulled over and waited for 10 min, drove away and the same thing happened. Pull over popped the bonnet and the water was bubbling away. Locked the car up and got it towed to my local VW garage (no service at weekends ~:( ). Have to wait till monday to find out whats up. &|

Any ideas why it is overheating? (cheapest ideas first please ;) ) The car had been running fine prior to this.

System Needing Bled?? Had you topped up the system at anytime or changed the antifreeze? An Airlock could cause this also...

Where abouts are you located Bluesun?? just wondered if your far from me, in Coatbridge?

Regards

28v6r

System Needing Bled?? Had you topped up the system at anytime or changed the antifreeze? An Airlock could cause this also...

Where abouts are you located Bluesun?? just wondered if your far from me' date=' in Coatbridge?

Regards

28v6r[/quote']

The car was last serviced at the end of November (done 1,800 miles since), haven't topped up the system (hasn't needed it) since. :(

Blackburn, West lothian

Hmmm... I could nick along if your interested, as yer only along the road, as I thought...Only If yer Interested that Is??? 8o)

acf8181...

Is there not a bleed screw located near the pump?? I'm guessing here, as I haven't had a look at mine or the VAG manual recently... another way of doing this would be to jack the nose of the car up as high as possible, the higher the better and run with the cap off the bubbles should in theory go to the highest point i.e the expansion tank, at the same time your forcing coolant into the Heater matrix and block. If the level drops any then you know you've had an airlock some where. Done this many a time on BMW's, Volvos, and a restored MK3 Cortina that the owner couldn't get bled at all, works every time!! :P:P:)

Regards

28v6r

Got a phone call from them on monday (to tell me that cylinder head gasket had gone &| &| ), then wednesday (to tell me that they had removed then head, that the gasket had gone at number 6 cylinder and that, thankfully, everything else was fine :) ).

Just back from VW garage, because they are busy I won't get the car back till Monday. :(