Idle Stab Valve? Car Hunting Badly

Guest odzVR6

Hi All.

My 1st post on this site, so please be gentle. Started the car after it was sitting all weekend, it sounded as though the battery was pretty flat, then it fired up, but sounded as though it wasn't firing on all cylinders, I took it for a short drive, Lumpy to say the least, when I pulled up the car was hunting badly between 1-2k revs. Since then the car starts OK'ish, revs at 1800 revs for a few seconds, then starts the 1-2k rev hunting. I disconnected the ISV and it stopped the hunting, it was still revving more than usual. Do you think it is just the ISV that needs replacing or could it be anything else?, I was more concerned about car not feeling as though all six were firing, any ideas? CHEERS!

Guest odzVR6

I took the ISV off and cleaned it as best I could with carb cleaner, the idle isnt as rough now and it hunts (chases rabbits and foxes) a bit less, so I will change the valve and hopefully all will be well. Ive been using the wifes 1.4CL in the meantime, and it just hasnt got the same poke as the VR for some strange reason, why is that?

Guest odzVR6

Thanks for that, I cleaned all the pipes when I did the ISV, I take it theres supposed to be wire wool like material in that black thing (ISV sound deadner?). I ported the TB about 6 months ago, but I will check that again whilst Im at it. Ive just got a working ISV on eBay for just over

i have cleaned all pipes the TB and the ISV twice! my vr is still jumping around, it drives fine but when i come up to a junction and stop for a min the car sort of starts reving badley and its really jumpy when i go to pull away, dosent happen all he time any ideas the problem is doing my head in!! Cheers

Guest odzVR6

Do you know anyone with a VR, try swapping the ISV with theres, as you know it only takes 5 minutes. That would confirm that it is the ISV, or look for a second hand one (or a new one if your feeling flush!). The problem with cleaning it is you cant take it to bits (or can you?).

• 10 months later...

i thought the car would stall if the isv was disconnected

as the car has no way of sucking air in

the throttle body butterfly valve is closed tight

it sounds alot like an air intake leak on a pipe or gasket

vag com for fault codes and check for intake leaks,

the isv may also be a problem as stated

a good clean with ashings brake cleaner spray did it for me