VR6 AAA OBD1

around 50 odd miles on the engine

yesterday i was on my way to a car show in my golf which ive just carried out a full rebuild to the engine.

i drove it 30 miles before setting off and it was working fine. i set of as normal and just stuck to 60, 9 miles down the road the oil light started flashing so i pulled over and waited 10 minutes for the oil to cool down/ for oil to return to the sump.

i checked it and it was only a couple markings down on the dipstick so i topped it up till it was full.

got back in and set off again and within 1 mile it was back on, i accelerated a little and it went away. is this an oil pressure problem? oil pump is new etc

i was near a service station and the oil light came on again so i pulled in (was 20 seconds away)

i waited again and checked the oil and it was fine. i bought a couple spare bottles just incase.

started it back up oil light was off, pulled away steadily and noticed it was knocking at 2-3k rpm so i turned round just incase it was the bonnet stay on the engine as the clip is broke.

but it turned out it wasnt the stay the engine was knocking at 2-3k revs. on the journey i seen a max oil temp of 120 degrees centigrade flash up for a split second before coming to the service station.

it ended up getting slightly worse as i could hear it at idle. i could feel the vibration by holding the gearbox mount leg it was quite bad when ar 2k rpm but feeling the engine block it wasnt as bad hardly even noticable.

but sounded like it was engine side.

i tried it with the clutch depressed and still made no difference.

i started it this morning and there was no knocking noise at all. (ran for about 3 minutes)

i did notice it was down on power as well when driving, didnt feel like a 180hp car should (this golf was a 1.6 before conversion and its the only car ive had)

could it be a faulty knock sensor and causing predetonation? ive searched about it just want another persons view. the only thing is i dont have vag com to remove codes, or to check them.

any help is greatly appreciated!

Where bouts are you?

im in cumbria mate. currently looking at getting lowish milage replacement engine. drained the oil today and you can see very fine particles of metal in it. its had 2 oil changes both had bad oil when changed. need a car to get to work so ill take this one out and put all my new parts on to another engine and split the engine down and sell any good parts