Refinements for a MK2 VR6 conversion... anybody got any thoughts/ideas??

Hi.. Jus bought a MK2 golf VR6 conversion... Its been done nicely but there are a couple of items I think need addressing???! Firstly its had a G60 gearbox put in place but the clutch feels v.low and tight. It had a new clutch 3000 miles ago when the conversion was done but doesnt appear to have a self adjusting cable on it... does the g60 box have one of those, if not any ideas for this remedy other than a replacement cable??! Secondly, the car appears to be running hot... it has a standard MK2 gti radiator and expansion tank... is this a problem and should i upgrade to a mk3 rad and tank??? if so is it a straight swap for the rad???

Any thoughts ideas would be much appreciated.

Cheers John.

G60 gearbox is hyrdaulic, so there won't be a clutch cable. There's nothing you can do to adjust it either, maybe the slave cylinder on the box is tired giving a weird pedal?

I'm not sure the G60 ratios are suited to the VR6 either. Not even G60 owners like the G60 ratios (especially 1st, 2nd and 5th) so I'd pull it out and fit the proper VR box personally......60 is not achievable in 2nd mate if you're a 0-60 fan, so changing to 3rd to make 60 will hamper your 1/4 mile times.

If you can fit them in, then yes you need the Golf/Corrado VR6 radiator and twin fan setup. The standard MK2 setup is under specified to adequately cool over 10 litres of scorching hot coolant!

Hi... thanks for feedback. Not sure about the gearbox as it is driven by a cable and isnt your standard gti unit either... will have to check this out a bit more...

As for the rad setup I think its best I do change over to the VR6 rad/fans, so cheers for that.... do I need to change the rad support on this? as im guessing the gti wont work with the vr6 rad...

All Corrado Gearboxes and most MK3 gearboxes are cable change and hydraulically actuated.....the only thing that can change is the internals, so the previous owner might have messed with the gearing.

I think you'll find the Corrado and Golf VR radiator and fans are the same. You'll also need the large fusebox for the fans and the wiring etc. They're 2 speed and draw a lot of current, so you don't want to be making up your loom with under spec wire!

Not sure on the rad support, never seen a VR rad in a MK2, but they do go in. You might need custom PACET fans thinking about it as space might be tight.

i have a cable in my mk2 vr, i have to change it fairly often though about every 3 months they wear out where the cable gos into rubber case its just a standard mk2 gti cable, you can use a hydrolic peddal box from a passat so i have been told , im also using a mk3 vr6 rad with mk2 single fan sits in fine, but a corrado rad is a much better fit and you can fit the twin fans behind,

i can mail you some photos if you want? sound like you def need to change the rad x) :@

good luck,,

Hi all... went to MidlandVW today to see Joe and he had a quick look at it for us... turns out that the box is a vr but with a G60 selector plate on top, hence tightness of selecting, which I shall be changing. a replacement cable on the way to sort the stiffness out as this should cure the problem I hope until I get round to sorting out a hydraulic setup! As for the rad it is a vr with a mk2 fan on it... will be looking to put some corrado dual fans on in the near future, so if anybody knows of one going let us know... sensible prices of course!! Will post some pics up soon but till then thanks to you all!