Thinking about a little engine overhaul on my golf and hoping for some advice.

The chains are starting to rattle so I'm thinking of doing them and I might as well do some other bits whilst it's apart. So far my list is;

Chains

Chain guides

Head gasket

Clutch

Flywheel (possibly lightened)

Crack pipe

Thermostat and housing

Oil cooler/seals (maybe external w/ thermostat)

Plugs and leads

Anyone think of anything I've missed (probably something really obvious) or and tips, hints or links worth a read?

Thanks in advance

The obvious things include new set of stretch bolts for the flywheel, pressure plate and head? You need special 12 point spline bits to undo the drive shafts, head bolts and flywheel bolts and they're all different sized, the clutch plate bolts are an odd size, either 9mm or 11mm can't remember. you will definitely need a torque wrench that will go from 10 to at least 110Nm and a breaker bar.

Take the front off by undoing the big bolts behind the indicators and the 4 bolts at the slam panel edges, it will make the whole thing about 58 times easier.

Ps If like me you are OCD about putting a clean engine back in and it's in as mucky and bad as mine was you should buy every container of cleaning and degreasing product you can get hold of in your town and a pallet of kitchen roll lol

Edited by Lukey.

just finishing up doing mine just as above really but i bought a roll of sealable sandwhich bags,what you take off bag it and write on it where there for and put them in free cardboard boxes you get from the supermarket because its too easy fot things to go missin and you wont remember everything no matter how hard you try.

If you pull the head is it worth rebuilding it while its off? not that much more of a job.

youll need a sump gasket too and beer....lots of beer

just finishing up doing mine just as above really but i bought a roll of sealable sandwhich bags,what you take off bag it and write on it where there for and put them in free cardboard boxes you get from the supermarket because its too easy fot things to go missin and you wont remember everything no matter how hard you try.

If you pull the head is it worth rebuilding it while its off? not that much more of a job.

youll need a sump gasket too and beer....lots of beer

Good idea. Will tape up and label all connectors too.

What is required to rebuild the head?

And I will do sump and sump bolts aswell

sump bolts depend on how much of bar steward getting the existing ones out,i had to replace mine.

head depends really on its face,they get pitted on the water channels,mine needed refacing.

exhaust guides wear excessively too as they get so hot so maybe worth doing those while its at the machinists

new valve stem oil seals but you will need a deep reaching spring compressor some lapping paste and about 750ml of elbow grease its easy building it up though done it on alot of cars over the years just get the machine shop to do the donkey work but they prob would strip and rebuild it depends on your budget,

Head over to the vw vortex, I found a guide on there going through step by step how to do the chains, I also found a guide on here on gearbox removal. I read through both of those a few times and they were a massive help showing me what to do.

One other tip is to put bolts back in what they came out of if possible, so you don't put them in the wrong place. On that note, one thing to look out for is when you remove the gearbox, make triple sure the bolts go back in the correct place, some are longer than others, and its possible to puncture the water jacket of the block!

Head over to the vw vortex, I found a guide on there going through step by step how to do the chains, I also found a guide on here on gearbox removal. I read through both of those a few times and they were a massive help showing me what to do.

One other tip is to put bolts back in what they came out of if possible, so you don't put them in the wrong place. On that note, one thing to look out for is when you remove the gearbox, make triple sure the bolts go back in the correct place, some are longer than others, and its possible to puncture the water jacket of the block!

Awesome thanks mate

For the gearbox bolts I wrapped some masking tape around them and biro'd on them like 12 o'clock, 2 o'clock, 10 o'clock.

Take pics of the wiring and connectors too it makes it basically fool proof.

While you've got it all off it's a perfect chance to send the injectors off for a service, mr injector is a good quick service.

can you really???iv not checked which ones go where,i hope it aint punctured!!

• 4 weeks later...

It probably goes without saying, but only use genuine valve stem seals!!! And head gasket. I thought I could get away with euro car parts head hasket set... That was the worst thing you can do! Brand new valve stem seals leak and the rocker gasket was nowhere near right! Because of this im striping it down again. What I lernt was if a jobs worth doing its worth doing properly!