speed camera detectors

I've got a Road Angel Classic that i got off eBay...dunno if i was lucky but i got it for 99 quid plus postage, and there was still a month left on the updates. Gives as much of a warning as i can imagine you'd need.

another question ' date=' a lot of the roads where i live have speed camera warning signs that are repeated down a stretch of road , but there are no visible speed cameras, are these just to slow you down??[/quote']

Watch out for camera vans on these stretches of road. Because of the signage, they can choose to operate there at any time.

I use an Origin B2. Great for detecting fixed cameras, gives plenty of warning and, in each case, tells me what the speed limit is and what type of camera I'm looking for. Build quality is not good though and I've had to send it back to Origin FOUR times since buying it in 2003.

The Road Angel version 2 has all the same functionality as the B2, but there's no indication of quality problems with these, so that's the unit I'd recommend. VW dealers are actually selling these as an option on brand new cars now!

[ Edited Mon May 16 2005, 04:21PM ]

the ones that block speed cameras are illegal' date=' £80 is reasonable wonder if it works?[/quote']

I'm also interested in the fact it has a GPS feed which you can connect to a PC - whihc says to me that you should be able to connect it to a PDA with satnav software- but i cant seem to find any info on if they make the leasds to allow connection to a PDA.

the ones that block speed cameras are illegal' date=' £80 is reasonable wonder if it works?[/quote']

I'm also interested in the fact it has a GPS feed which you can connect to a PC - whihc says to me that you should be able to connect it to a PDA with satnav software- but i cant seem to find any info on if they make the leasds to allow connection to a PDA.

Surely is this not going to be 2 different types of software though.

You might be unlucky upon the fact that the pda posibly uses a windows based software and if the gps system cannot be combined with windows.

Remember that a document written in microsoft works suite (Cheap pc software) wont read in microsoft word without it being altered.similar problem with your idea i expect.

BUT i might be talking complete c**p. I only just worked out where to plug my mouse in. !amazed !amazed

Arn't the ones which detect via radar going to become illegal?

Won't be hapenning. Not yet' date=' anyway. The Road Safety Bill (which included the ban on radar detectors) was dropped on 7 April, just ahead of the election ;)

The Bill is going to be amended and resubmitted to the Law Lords, but no-one knows yet whether the radar detector ban will be revived. Rumour has it that the second version of the bill will be more focussed on stopping unlicenced and uninsured drivers, which are perceived to be more of a problem.

Likewise, there are still no laws specifically prohibiting the use of Laser Jammers (these are the only effective defence against camera vans), but the Police REALLY don't like these and might try to do you for "Obstructing a Police Officer in the course of his duty" if they catch you using one. It's a risk, but lots of people use them every day without any problems.

[ Edited Wed May 18 2005, 08:54AM ']

You would need to buy a cable that converts your PDA input to a male DB9 RS232 serial plug (plus a cig lighter plug for power). This will then mate up to the standard DB9 RS232 serial plug that comes out of the detector. This cable will be available from the manufacturer of your PDA.

Often' date=' it works out cheaper just to give your PDA it's own GPS receiver, especially since this will allow you to use your sat-nav in another car (such as a hire car abroad) if you want to.

[ Edited Wed May 18 2005, 09:03AM ']