Evening all, just thought I'd share with you the issues I'm having with my Corrado VR6.

Now I have a problem with the engine, it has always 'ticked' when cold so I've bought a new set of lifters that are waiting to be fitted, then I noticed a bad rattle sound when hot and under load, its worse above 3k and quite loud so I took it up to Dan at Devon Dub Shack, he advised me to see an old customer of his who is a bit of a VR6 expert, he suggested that it could be big and/or small ends.... bugger... however he has a mate who has an engine for sale... so a deal was done and I ended up being the proud owner of a spare VR6 engine.

IMG_4406_zpsbe274e75.jpg

It came out of a Golf so I assumed it was a 2.8 AAA but I later found out that the Golf was a converted 1.6 and guess what, the engine is a ABV... result..

Oh, and it came with all these spares..

IMG_4407_zpsee887fae.jpg

It was suggested that maybe due to the mileage on my car that maybe the oil is a bit thin for it, I serviced it myself and used the VW synta 10W 40 so I bought some really expensive 10W 50 fully syth oil from Opie in the hope that it'll quieten down the engine and maybe buy me some time.. it's worth a shot in my book, although I do now have a spare engine I really want it to stay a spare...lol

So today I dropped the oil and filter.

IMG_4409_zps4914d14e.jpg

Checked out the filter and it's full of metal particals.... not good..

IMG_4410_zpsfc3db3c7.jpg

IMG_4411_zps29b66314.jpg

Filter housing full as well

IMG_4413_zpse2c7f532.jpg

Although there didn't seem to be any in the oil..

So I thought I better drop the sump, there was a few bits in the bottom of the sump but not much however the oil pump strainer was full so i removed the pump and got all the bits out.

IMG_4417_zps11252db5.jpg

IMG_4418_zpsbcb2ebd9.jpg

Then I got a surprise, I pulled this big bit out of the stainer..

IMG_4419_zpsa461ecaa.jpg

Comparing it with my spare engine it appears to be part of the upper chain tensioner, there is also a bit of the securing rivet. 

mmmmmm I'm actually quite pleased, it now looks like the tensioner has failed and broken up so hopefully the rest of the engine is fine, I ran out of time today so tomorrow the plan is remove the upper chain cover and check it out, hopefully the tensioner is damaged and a replacement will solve my problems... however the gearbox needs to come off to get to the bottom of the tensioner... bugger... better than an engine out though...lol

I'll let you all know what tomorrow brings...

Oh, quick pic of the inside of an oil pump..

IMG_4420_zpsecf2310c.jpg

Rog.

Personally I don't think it's just wear, the engine has 138k on it but the chains and tensioner so were changed by Stealth (before my ownership) a few years ago, I'll have to check the paperwork but I'm sure less than 40k ago.

I think something has failed, I'll get the covers off tomorrow and report my findings.

Out of interest, where is the best place to buy the tension runners? Also I've heard somewhere that there is a later all metal runner, is that true?

Rog.

Update..

Ok, grabbed a quick hour down the garage and managed to get the top chain cover off..

IMG_4422_zps51f861a2.jpg

Guess what, my tensioner has been replaced with the later type... so the question is... where did that piece of plastic come from??

Has the top tensioner failed at some point in the past and that's been stuck in the oil strainer all these years or has it come from somewhere else... is the bottom chain tensioner of similar design??

Oh, and a quick pick of the cams, look like new, no wear and all looks nice and clean... looks like its been looked after.

IMG_4423_zps8ea7a6f2.jpg

Rog.

Just been having a little think... What material are bearing shells made from because the bits I've found in my oil stainer are ferrous (they stick to a magnet)... Having just looked up tinterweb it appears that replacement shells are aluminium alloy, are the OE shells the same, if they are can I assume that the metal I've found is not bearing shells?

I don't know what to do now, the metal has come from somewhere and I need to find out where however I did fit a 2nd hand oil cooler that I didn't (foolishly) wash out so it may have come from there, there is also the sound, what could be causing that, I thought it could be the top tensioner but it's not that.

So options are.. Fit new lifters and new thicker oil... Pull gearbox and check bottom tensioner... Or.. Fit new big ends, lifters and oil...

What do you reckon chaps??

I think that engine has had tensioner failure to the point the chain wore through the 2 pins that hold the lower guide. Someone then changed the tensioners and left the shrapnel in the sump. The chain and the pins are ferrous.

The oil filter you pictured, do you still have it? If so cut it in half and have a look how far the metal parts got.

I think the tiny parts of metal have gotten around the entire oil path of the engine, causing your noise.

Ok mate, I've still got it, I take it I cut it across and not lengthways, is this to see how far into the filter the metal has got.

If it has got past the filter what are the options? Can I blow out the oil ways with an air line?

I can't understand why this has happened now, the tensioners were changed a few years ago when the chains were done (not by me) and all I've done is change the oil about 1000 miles ago.

Rog.

Doesn't matter which way you cut it, through the diameter or along its length, both will reveal both sides of the filter, adn allow you to see how far the metal pieces got.

Think of what an engine does to oil, it literally smashes upon it constantly. Think about what pieces of metal would become after a period of time. Then think about where these even smaller places can make their way into.

And finally we have an answer...

Big end bearings...

IMG_4428_zps3f08d4c0.jpg

IMG_4429_zpse5bfcffe.jpg

IMG_4430_zps9c80e12b.jpg

IMG_4431_zps490067ad.jpg

I've only dropped no 6 so far but I assume the rest will be the same...

I'm actually quite pleased, at least I now know what's wrong and it's not too difficult to replace the shells, the crank is undamaged, I think I've caught this just in time.

Ok, next question, where can i get replacement shells and what do you think has caused this?? the only thing I've done is change the oil although the oil temp does go quite high (124 was the highest I've seen) was the replacement oil maybe too thin for a 138000 engine (10w 40), oil pressure has never been low... any ideas??

Rog.