Hey guys, i'm back with my 3rd VR, picked up yesterday.

The basics are:

171,000 miles (yes really lol)

11 months MOT with 4 months tax

Full VW service history

BBS style Lenso 16's with new tyres on the back (2 weeks ago i believe) and good on the front

Coilovers - unsure of make at the mo as I have not had chance to check, but I can see they have red springs?

Remus exhaust

K&n filter.

Climate control

I was very lucky to pick this up for peanuts, bearing in mind in the past 3 years it has had over £4000 spent on various things such as new air con system, new ignition lock and switch, headlights - I have a folder packed full of receipts - it is very reasurring to find a car that seems to have been well looked after.

A few questions, does anyone know what make of coilover uses red springs?

Also it as a VR6OC sticker in the window so i'm guessing a previous owner may be on here?

Plans? No idea yet, it does need a bit of tidying so will get it up together first then decide which way to go - very tempted to strip it out and use it as a new track car (I generally do a few track days a year, which I have been doing for the past 15 years or so) and as luck would have it I also have a Dragon Green mk3 1.9 tdi estate which I can fit the interior to etc

Luckly, I used to be a parts manager for VW for 10 years or so, so I have some good contacts to get parts, though where is the best place to download ETKA?

Things to do so far:

New stat (does'nt get very hot) and housing (Bound to leak if I re-use the old one!)

New top mounts

New axle bushes (standard or powerflex?)

Good wash and polish

New steering wheel (will the airbag light stay on if I go to an aftermarket wheel?)

New header tank

Straighten the exhaust

Few other little odds and sods

Oh and quad headlights! Need to find some for sale at a sensible price

anyway, a few pictures :)

20140202_133619_zpsei1zzhhs.jpg

20140202_133625_zpswbjqysuq.jpg

20140202_164943_zpsdhhqghur.jpg

20140202_165010_zpsmx3he9oy.jpg

20140202_165019_zpsry8wtihu.jpg

20140202_133345_zpsy2egcjfa.jpg

Edited by Russ_vr6

Looks good mate,mines done 170k as well you'd never guess it by driving it though, coilovers are probably pro-sports,eBay specials but me and a few mates have used them on different cars with no complaints.Mines got power flex rear bushes(came with them) and felt quite tight without being harsh even when I first got it on standard suspension. Oh and the airbag light will stay on, but you could possibly get the little panel on the dash with the light from a car that never had airbags?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by bennyk

No idea on the make of skirts, but they do look M3-esque! Will be removed soon mind :)

Where is the best place £/quality to get engine/box mounts? I can feel the engine moving on/off throttle and it feels like it twists slighly-luckily i used to be parts manager for a VW garage so i have my contacts and am able to get parts at cost, so i'm guessing thats best, but as i have been away from VR's for a while i'm happy for any help! :)

When I did my engine mounts I did all of them. Used Febi/Bilstein parts from a place called AVS car parts, came to around £80 for all 3 of them. They weren't too difficult to change, but I did them the same time as the timing chains so already had a couple of them removed anyway.

Edited by Therusterman

A mk2 gearbox mount is solid instead of fluid if you want a harder one.

Ah smashing, i take it a GTi one? 8/16v the same mate? Does it just bolt on?

When I did my engine mounts I did all of them. Used Febi/Bilstein parts from a place called AVS car parts, came to around £80 for all 3 of them. They weren't too difficult to change, but I did them the same time as the timing chains so already had a couple of them removed anyway.

Ooh, ok i'll check out their website, if they do all 3 for that cheap I am happy to do all

Hmmm, I'll research all options-thanks guys! :)

Looking forward to a few weeks time, as well as my main job, I also have my own little business selling cars part time and it's typically fallen that at the moment my cars I have for sale all have work being done-once all are done I can stop using the VR and start the proper restoration/modifications can start :)

I had a spare hour yesterday so I started tidying my garage ready for my re-fit plans, and had another good look over the Golf.

Really suprised at the bodywork - it's really in better condition than i thought.

Here are a few more pictures:

All pretty solid here

20140216_162620_zpskkzcsant.jpg

Strut tops are also very good

20140216_162627_zpslpve2v16.jpg

Battery tray needs a quick going over, but solid all around

20140216_162647_zpsxif6lqdn.jpg

Brand new alternator and aircon compressor

20140216_162641_zpsdy7vrfl9.jpg

Tiny leak on the side of the head i need to address but nothing bad

20140216_162632_zpsissyzurt.jpg

Valve looks a bit oily mind - will be replacing it

20140216_161609_zps2xxxnbod.jpg

20140216_161603_zps5ulz8q9e.jpg

20140216_162656_zps3j3wf0bz.jpg

And a few of the rest of the car

All original and rust free with Data sticker still intact

20140216_162729_zpsjyibtaek.jpg

20140216_162732_zpsrolvzvja.jpg

Boot is rust free, just a tiny bit to the left of the lock to address.

20140216_162716_zpshsqx5ur5.jpg

And even the door shuts and sills are good

20140216_162805_zps4oemkflu.jpg

So far, all in all i am very happy - will be making a list up on my white board in the garage of the small bits and pieces i need to do, but seem to have a good starting point with this car, bearing in mind it clocked over to 172,000 miles this morning  :)

Edited by Russ_vr6

After replacing my front wings and the front sections of the sills on mine, I'd say a top tip would be take out the front splash guards and give it a good clean out and treat it with cavity wax or something. As you'd see from my build thread the previous owner of mine never did!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk