Couple years back I had finally bought a VR after being jealous of the few that my brother had. I picked up a corrado and documented its development on here at the time.

mynewcar02.jpg

Lots of trials and tribulations later and it ended up like this

htc781.jpg

htc785.jpg

anyway....... I straight swapped it for an S3 and it was the worst move of my life. Slow,fat,terrible,uninspiring....disastrous tbh. So I crashed it! Picked up a B5 a4 estate which I bumbled about with for a bit

Picture070.jpg

oooooooft01.jpg

davidsphone889.jpg

davidsphone897.jpg

and picked up a V different kind of beast as an occasional weekend motor

davidsphone886.jpg

Also got rid of the blue A4 for the black A6 diesel quattro for winter

dazmay009_zps2b739e9d.jpg

and in the meantime still playing with my mk1 golf racer

darren10_zpsce168b66.jpg

mk1golf08_zps751b9882.jpg

mk1golf013_zps402240ef.jpg

While playing with the green car work was kinda being held up by another car that was always around the workshop in a pretty stripped down state never seeming to get any further forward and basically just tripping over it. It was a pretty well spec'd mk1 with new fk highsports,fully polybushed,h+r arbs,full paint job,custom headliner,flocked dash and the partial strip was due to the abf lump coming out and a VR was meant to be going in. 

Went in one day and dougie(who owns Trix,you'll possibly know his three door vrT)says about how its such a shame that Andy has given up on the mk1 etc and I asked how he meant and basically the p.o. had decided to get a sensible daily and never had the funds to continue with the car

The car in question(and the point of the topic)

dazmay001_zpsb2af14f2.jpg

Basically the deal was he'd gave up but was selling it as a package or breaking it and I crunched some numbers and pulled the pin. Basically I would get the engine and car but not the Azev wheels as he wanted to use them for his new E30 drift car :s

So that particular corner of dougies workshop became Darrens lol

dazmay002_zpsdb63fee8.jpg

I'd picked up wheels I thought id be able to use on the racer

dazmay007_zps74d00959.jpg

so offered them up

dazmay011_zps51ebaab6.jpg

with some weight added

dazmay013_zps8e5af9d7.jpg

dazmay014_zps929cfae2.jpg

So....they looked doable so the project daily cracked on

preferred method of mounting was to graft in mk3 mounts rather than the whole subframe which dougie handily has a jig for

brownone001_zpsb5037752.jpg

brownone002_zpsb354d425.jpg

brownone003_zps6295acb9.jpg

rad trials

brownone004_zps3169dc8c.jpg

converting to hydraulic clutch

brownone005_zps4d600d3d.jpg

brownone006_zpsd54bb09d.jpg

I wasnt keen on the two tone cream show points bay so got it colour coded after the mounts were solid

brownone008_zps1dc63dc1.jpg

and got some rubber for the wheels(specs are 7.5 and 9x16 and went for 195/40 and 215/35)

brownone009_zps64df49a7.jpg

I wanted the wheels refurbed as they were straight but tatty and asked for a bright silver so to get a sparkly grey I was not impressed...

brownone010_zps2344f03d.jpg

got the tyres off and the wheels redone

Decided to use the konigsport suspension I had for the racer on the vr as Id revised plans for the racer and im going with some fooncy trick track stuff so up in the air it went

dertuhd01_zps1801aebe.jpg

highsports for konigsport silverlines

dertuhd02_zps163200c1.jpg

fronts on along with 280 g60 discs and cavalier gsi calipers(spot the rookie mistake)

dertuhd03_zpsa5537c03.jpg

rears nearly fitted

dertuhd04_zps047b3967.jpg

tried fitting the wheels then started kicking myself.....wheels hit the helper springs which I always ALWAYS remove but decided not to due to the nature of the coils fitted :( wheels back off,struts back off,helpers removed,struts refitted,wheels refitted,camber set to sit just off the coils and nipped the bolts,removed the wheels and torqued the bolts properly,refitted the wheels..........

back down

dertuhd09_zps3cbffbfc.jpg

quick measure and some readjusting

dertuhd08_zps069fa118.jpg

dertuhd07_zps6b2b2f69.jpg

some sill jumping later and spinning the steering back and forth but it really needs an alignment then a proper run to settle

dertuhd10_zps5ad69e7f.jpg

and thats where its at just now.....should be getting it finished with a shakedown by next weekend and then thatll be it until I fit the new manifolds and stuff I just bought to go on it

Thanks for reading what ive been up to while I was away :D

I stay about 20mins from dougs although I work 200 mile further north :( should be about round about xmas time though. What is it your heading up for? and it may even have the new manifolds on by then ;)

new manifolds? either way be good to see it, Picking something up from Dougie not saying too much on the forums but i think you may know what it is anyway lol,

I have family up in cumbria so it kind of breaks the drive up from cornwall and get to seee them too on the way up etc.

I have an idea as I know hes sold some off the stuff of his but ill stay shtoom ;-) Another guy I know is breaking his mk3 vr with a fancy exhaust and inlet manifold along with management and some bits and bobs. All I need to find is a T4 based turbo and an intercooler(intercooler wont be hard as I know there is one somewhere in my spare room)and then hopefully get stuck into it over winter inbetween breaks from work although now that this one is running im trying to get back to concentrating on the racer although im easily side tracked...... did I say about the R32 motor ive sourced for my mk1 jetta coupe thats needing started as well......

I have an idea as I know hes sold some off the stuff of his but ill stay shtoom ;-) Another guy I know is breaking his mk3 vr with a fancy exhaust and inlet manifold along with management and some bits and bobs. All I need to find is a T4 based turbo and an intercooler(intercooler wont be hard as I know there is one somewhere in my spare room)and then hopefully get stuck into it over winter inbetween breaks from work although now that this one is running im trying to get back to concentrating on the racer although im easily side tracked...... did I say about the R32 motor ive sourced for my mk1 jetta coupe thats needing started as well......

Thanks mate ;-)

Yesss 24v jetta i was speaking to a good friend of mine earler that this needs to be done, My biggest downfall was heading over to VW Days this year, so much inspiration and ideas from there, Got any pics of the Jetta?

Itll stay fwd, ive been building it to various stages off completion for the last 19 years. It already stands a good chance off never being finished without trying for 4wd lol. Plus I dont think it requires it really. the brown one should end up @300 odd and the green one should be @500 so 200 odd in the jetta will be fine with fwd

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...