Replacing vlave/rocker cover gasket-new bolts?!

Going to be replacing the valve cover gasket whilst i'm doing the chains etc, and the parts guy at my local VW dealer suggested also replacing the bolts for the cover at the same time, but at around £10 each this would be very expensive!

Was thinking of maybe putting a smear of gasket sealant on as well, has anyone else replaced the bolts?

It depends on how bad they are. I've never had to replace the bolts, but if yours are rusted then might be worth while. Could you not just look on ebay for the same sized bolt? Got to be cheaper then a tenner each! You could use rtv sealant on the head face, would stop it leaking in the future. But if you just clean up the mating faces it shouldnt be too much of an issue.

To be honest Dave, I don't even know if its leaking, will find out when I take the inlet off, just thought it would be worth doing whilst the engines in pieces and the gasket is probably past its best.

I'll just make sure the mating surfaces are nice and clean, and make sure the valve cover is torqued down properly

My rocker cover bolts were all mashed up and rusted, I replaced them with some stainless cap head allen bolts and washers, they are M6 size, the old ones are captured but if you whack them on the bottom with a hammer they will pop out of the collar, which you will need to retain to space the bolts properly. I put a thin run of black oil resistant sealant on my new seal just because I really don't want it to leak again.