Cleaned throttle body and now issues!

Evening all!

gave my throttle body a good clean yesterday as a code had popped up saying my idle something or other was higher then expected.

plugged my shiny clean TB back on and when l went to drive it today first off the car would drop the revs and engine would die, but now it, for no reason, picks up revs and l have to ride the clutch to control them (not good!) only really notice it when lm stopped at the light ect.. other then that is seems to be driving really well

is there anything l might have done to cause this?

Help please! :)

How long did you leave it until you started the car from connecting the plug / reconnecting the battery?

It's possible it didn't complete a throttle body "adaptation" you can do this via vag-com, or unplug battery for a bit, turn ignition on, you will hear the motor buzz and make noises, once it starts, you can then start the car...

Just out of interest, what did you clean with, and have you checked basics like throttle cable and gaskets to ensure refitted correctly?

fitted it back on, put my tools away and started her. l didn't however disconnect the battery (could this be a problem?)

unfortunately l dont have vag-com any more (must get a new one as it is so handy!) oh ok l will try that then buddy. so once battery is back on just turn the key and wait for the noises to start or stop (just to be sure lol) and then good to go?

I cleaned it with a bit of carb cleaner that one of my aircooled mates gave me on the weekend. yup checked gaskets but l dont think l have a cable buddy? or am l being a retard here? Lol

Did you move the throttle plate when cleaning it with the engine off?

As its drive by wire if you move the throttle plate by hand you can damage the throttle body. Read about this before i cleaned mine last year. Was advised only to open it using the pedal with ignition on but engine off.

I know moving the plate was a not such good idea on the mk5, because of the need to re-calibrate once you did but l didnt know it was an issue on the mk4. l took the battery off for a while had have just put it back on and it seems to be idling ok so l will see how it is tomorrow (hoping it is sorted!) if not l might get another TB and see if that sorts it.

and cheers for you help so far guys, much appreciated!

haha no prob Daverse, l prob should said that to start with :P

craggsy, l prob would have given it a go but unfortunately l dont have vag-com at the moment, so l couldn't.

on the plus side it does seem to be sorted! l came across a broken pipe whilst having a look last night. the one that goes in to the top of the charcoal container (l think!) part number 1J0 133 366M, l couldnt find a new one online but managed to fix it and either that or the battery off has done the job (or at least it seems to have lol)

cheers for the help guys :)

now l only have one or two warning light to get rid of and am all good ;)