Make your own. You only really need some 5mm sheet metal. I know some people who have used Allen keys / spinners before now.

Yea that's what I did in the end, got a plate cut to the outside dimensions from a local metal workers for a quid then cut the shape with an angle grinder.

I just typed in VR6 tool into ebay and one comes up from a UK coompany, I did think about making my own but didn't have any steel knocking about.

I've set about removing the box tonight but upon removing the top bell housing bolt all the coolant has come out of the engine??? Is this normal or is my block knackered??? Never known it on any other engine but this is the first VR6 box I've removed.

Oh right fair enough, when I looked there were no uk based sellers the closest was Germany.

The coolant sounds like the person who took it apart last put the 2 top gearbox bolts in the wrong way round, this can pierce the water jacket.

Well the chains are back on and all timed up perfectly, far better than it was so hopefully it should cure my poor starting and lumpy idle issues.

As for the leaking block, I'm gonna have to seal it up for the time being and hope for the best. I can't afford a replacement engine at the minute. So if I can make it last a couple of months till after my holiday then i'll be happy.

Just waiting on my crank rear oil seal turning up from GSF then I can get the gearbox back on. Going to fit my new rad and oil cooler whilst the coolant is drained out and also got a new header tank so fingers crossed it'll be good to go by Monday evening at the latest.

• 1 month later...

Well the cars been running pretty sweet for the past 500 miles since I did the repairs which is good. I noticed the throttle body wouldn't adapt though and traced it to a knackered motor in the throttle body so luckily a chap on here was breaking a mk3 VR so I went and bought a few bits. Fitted the throttle body and a chipped ECU and now it fires up and runs so much better than it ever has done which is a good result. Also bought a short shift gear selector which I'll get round to fitting soon.

Also bought a new set of coilovers last month from Venom as 2 of mine were leaking pretty badly. I fitted the fronts on Saturday along with a new pair of genuine VW strut top mounts as mine were getting a bit worn, also stripped and cleaned the strut top bearings too as these had been a bit noisy in the past but now all is silky smooth again.

I bought a brand new genuine VW front splitter too after wrecking 3 drivers side splitter sections since all types :lol:

Just a pic of my shiny new front coilover before it went on, the cars a bit lower now too :ph34r:

38CB14C0-3A65-4DEE-9CBC-3301A1D0F7C5-3840-0000030B0FB74CBA_zpsc5bfad55.jpg

Thats fine Pete was just making sure it had got to you :) looking forward to the show.

Spent a few hours on the bodywork tonight trying to get it looking a bit better ready for Tatton in a few weeks. Gave the car a wash at work, then clayed the whole car, next was a coat of Poor Boys black hole and then finally a coat of Dodo Juice purple haze wax. Safe to say my arm is knackered but the car looks worlds better for it!

Just a couple of reflection shots which do flatter it slightly but it does shine really well for a 17yr old car!

49B9C302-938F-42E1-A6D4-1931D938FE16-6051-000005480B423029_zpsa3b73c68.jpg

68D06360-8391-4C8B-A8B9-5469C1D527FE-6051-0000054815DA5164_zps534eaaad.jpg

• 2 weeks later...