Bad Idle and poor running - 00268 Fault Code

Hi, i am having some poor running issues with my obd11 96 vr6.

When i start the car, the revs rise to around 2000rpm, then suddenly drop off, causing the car to stall on cold start ups. and until warm it keeps trying to cut out when the revs drop low.

It drives pretty much normally, but then sometimes it runs like a bag of nails, popping and banging almost making it impossible to drive.

I've scanned the car, and its kicking up 2 codes.

00525 - Lambda sensor (but has been throwing this up for a long time before these problems)

00268 - Shift solenoid sensor.

its this code that i find confusing only being relevant to Auto Gearboxes and mines a manual.

So what can throw this up...?

Thanks in advance.

Stuart.

Thanks for the replys guys...

As far as i know its always been a manual... But I will get the ecu read on a mates laptop just incase.

Regarding the MAF, I replaced that about a year and a half ago... So would it fail that quickly...? Will unplug and check for any changes in the morning.

Thanks again.

Ok i have now disconnected the MAF....and there is no change, still does the same on start up...could this mean that its the MAF at fault..?

it is now kicking up a fault - 00553 -Mass Flow Sensor.....which it wasn't before......surley if the MAF was at fault it would have shown this up before hand...!

ok an update not this...i have had it not vagcom...and basically the lambda isn't working.

but i think i have found out why its popping and banging every now and then.....there is water getting into the main wiring connector above the aux water pump....so i clean it out....drive for about 50 miles, and it fills up again.....etc.

so I'm thinking a leak from either the aux water pump or the pipes going into it.....but I'm still confused how its getting in and on such a regular basis....!

have you checked if you got any splits around jubilee clips etc? i had one recently where it would not leak until i was driving then obviously the movement in engine was causing the leak to be alot worse. took clips off the pipe and it had shredded the pipe to bits under the clip!

maybe worth trying to protect the wiring some how as well just to see if it clears it up for the time being.

are you loosing alot of water?