Replacing timing chains DIY advice

Guys,

Thanks for all the advice so far, I tried an impact drive with no success, drilled the head to try an easy out which didn't work. So ended up cutting the head off the one offending bolt. To be fair I recon I will replace all bolts, if they dont clean up well.

Once that was done, engine mounts off and the front sub frame member out of the way, engine came out no snags.

I will be in touch on here to replace the parts I need to!

I did break a few rhondda on the

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Cheers lukey. Spot on as always. I already had the cable alternator to starter motor connected. Put the battery positive on there too. Battery negative to gearbox. The other was from negative to e

What part are you having issue with? The pressure plate is just held on with 6 bolts, I think they are a strange size like 9mm or 11mm. Before you undo them if its going bak on after get some tipex and draw a line on the pressure plate and flywheel so you can re assemble them in the correct orientation. I had trouble with mine and ended up putting it on in te wrong orientation and had massive shuddering and had to take the box off again. Undo them in a diagonal pattern in stages then you should be able to pull it off, if its stuck a tap around the edges with a small hammer works, just be ready to catch it.

Sweet, thanks for that. Yeah new clutch at the same time as doing the chains. Having dramas now with the flywheel, the bolts aren't torx, they look like double hex. Going to need to get another tool so I dont screw the bolt heads up.

Any ideas on a good way to stop engine rotating as you undo these? I'm on my own so getting someone else is not going to happen.

Cheers again everyone

They are triple square, thespannerman on eBay sells these bits. If you don't have any triple squares this explains also your trouble with the driveshaft bolts, they are also triple square, in which case get a 8mm and 10mm bit. You also can't re use flywheel bolts they are stretch, you can get a set from VW for about a tenner. To stop the engine rotating put a breaker bar and socket on the crank pulley bolt and wedge it on the floor, it will stop the engine from turning.

Or do something like this, this will also come in handy when you have to reinstall the intermediate sprocket to 100Nm.

IMG_0581_zpsf7aff39f.jpg

• 2 months later...

Thanks everyone for all the help and advice. Sorry for the lack of updates. A lot has been going on.....

Firstly I have had a baby so trying to do this alongside work and a baby has been slow going!!

However, changed the chains, guides and tensioner setup. The upper guide was completely shagged and bits of it were just bouncing around under the covers!!

Putting it back together presented quite a few annoying snags. The flywheel bolts had to be sourced from VW (thanks Ridgeway VW Reading), new clutch kit from GSF (thanks again GSF), Gearbox was a right royal pain in the arse to re-fit onto the engine but I got there. Got the engine lifted into the car and onto the mounts which I cleaned up, lowered onto the front beam on which I had sorted the rust and re-painted. Cleaned out the oil cooler and oil filter housing and re-fitted both. New seal for rocker cover and spark plugs fitted (once again thanks GSF).

Now comes the problem; when I lifted the engine, the last thing I disconnected was the driveshafts, when I lowered the engine in, (due only to a lack of sleep) I forgot to raise the driveshafts. So now the driveshafts are below the engine and gearbox assembly!!

My options now are, as I see them, to lift the engine again (which would require me hiring a hoist again) or disconnecting the driveshaft from the hub end and trying to locate through the gap. I have had a good look on ETKA and it looks fairly straight forward which worries me. It looks like only one nut to undo.

Any ideas guys?

Help as always, gratefully received everyone. i shall try and be a bit more up to date now with feedback!!

PS admin loving the look of the new skin on the site

I would say it would be easuer to remove the druveshaft from the hub (and hub from assembly if need be) and reattach it to the gearbox. Otherwise you'll be faffing about all over the place.

Good progress though, hopefully this will be the last if the issues!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

• 3 weeks later...

Ok guys. Once again sorry for not keeping up to date. A progress update. Had to lift the engine to raise the driveshaft up each side. Pain in the arse. After then I have reconnected the cooling and air con system. Electrics too but am having a few snags which I'll come on to. Battery tray, wash bottle, painted intake manifold, radiator assembly etc. Think that's up to speed.

Ok so next thing I need help with is a couple of electrical pieces. Couple of connectors and cables that I have forgotten where they go and etka isn't really that descriptive. I will take a picture and post for help.

Cheers for all the help so far everyone. Awesome

Ok so there are 3 electrical cables I have forgotten where they go.

First is the thickest cable on the battery positive terminal which doesn't have any red markings on. See pic.

Second is battery negative terminal.

third is a smaller cable with eyelet ends. See pic.

I think I remember the negative terminal coming of the side of the gearbox housing point.

Sorry guys pictures don't work add I can only upload 500kb and the smallest pic my smartphone does is 1mb!!!!

Ok so there are 3 electrical cables I have forgotten where they go.

First is the thickest cable on the battery positive terminal which doesn't have any red markings on. See pic.

Second is battery negative terminal.

third is a smaller cable with eyelet ends. See pic.

I think I remember the negative terminal coming of the side of the gearbox housing point.

Sorry guys pictures don't work add I can only upload 500kb and the smallest pic my smartphone does is 1mb!!!!

Hi mate. Unsure wafts going on there, the max file size per image is 2mb.

If you use tapatalk you won't have any problems uploading images.

Club Chairman

It sounds like you're on about the two positive cables that run to the starter motor, the larger one from the battery positive and the smaller one from the alternator, then the large negative will go in the clip on the battery tray and run along the bracket that fastens to the starter motor and goes under a gearbox bolt, but get the pics up before just connecting them.

Android but having dramas linking my Facebook to this forum too. Despite editing pictures down as small as possible they're still larger than 500kb. Getting pretty threaders with it now.

Think I'm just going to go for it and ifi blow owt then I will be raging.

Can people just confirm the ends of the battery terminals locate where? Thinking negative to gearbox. Positive? This lead with an eye on each end approx 8in long?

It sounds like you're on about the two positive cables that run to the starter motor, the larger one from the battery positive and the smaller one from the alternator, then the large negative will go in the clip on the battery tray and run along the bracket that fastens to the starter motor and goes under a gearbox bolt, but get the pics up before just connecting them.