Sounds like a faulty ABS sensor or ABS ring's..... VAG-COM / VCDS is what is needed to identify which wheel has the issue.

I've seen rings become misshapen / corroded that causes the ABS to have a "moment" when its not expected, but could be a sensor too, also seen instances where the wheel bearings are on the way out that causes movement and results in the ABS kicking in.

Hi, UM. No the brakes don't apply but you can here the pump 'pulsing'? Occasionally when it kicks in on braking (which it has) it restricts pedal travel etc and I am losing confidence in late braking 'just in case' it kicks in when I am not expecting it. I can only associate it with the new discs and pads I had fitted on the front 2 months ago (by competent mechanic) I know too much wheelspin (which never happens ;-) can light the ABS, and I know there is a recurring fault apparently with most VW ABS units 90's to early 2000's on all models as I had mine remanufactured here

http://www.bba-reman.com/uk/

Last year, so I hope is just a dirty ring (story of my life!)

If its fixable great but as its a daily driver with children I don't want to take any chances, do you know what blocks I need to measure in vag-com for wheel speed? (Free download version)

I thought if the light comes on a fault will be logged (maybe not CEL) but still logged and readable by vag com? Before I had controller rebuilt it used to throw an ABS light intermittently and fault was rear speed sensor left, even when testing ( swapping rear left to right under rear seat) it would still throw a rear left speed sensor fault. All help greatly appreciated.

Thanks for reply.

Cheers

Steve

I had this happen last year, if you can't get it scanned check your sensors thats exactly the same as mine was doing, just follow the wire back unplug it and put a multimeter on it and check the continuity if its not got it it's a dead sensor