yea sure its possible but tbh unless theres a problem with the 2.8 the swap from 2.8 to 2.9 aint worth the hassel, iv had both and theres not much if any difference 2.8 golf and 2.9 raddo , you would be better off upgradeing your current one to obd2 if anything,

well yeah you could actually sorry for some reason i thought you meant you just had a block. Yeah everything else is the same' date=' oh and ecu i think is different..?

[/quote']

yea ecu is different + wireing would be slightly different for coilpack or distributer vr6 engines.

AAA I have now is in my Caddy and is OBDI with coil pack and is on gas and is 188bhp.

I can have a ABV OBDI with coil pack with 204bhp and more torque.

It has a better in let and power and will be easier to get more power from. It would be nice to be different and have a 2.9.

How and where would the wiring be different??

Could I get the AAA ECU remapped for a 2,9 remap??

what mods has this 2.9 had to get 204 bhp? like i said iv had both engines and standard for standard theres no real difference to justify a swap imo unless its something you just want to do , going from a coil pack 2.8 to coil pack 2.9 wireing should be fine, early ABV 2.9 had a distributer and not a coil pack so wireing for that will be different,

Just to clear some of this up, the differences between the 2.8 and 2.9 are:

Bore / pistons

Compression ratio

Cams

Inlet manifold

Exhaust manifolds

Throttle body

ECU .

They share the same ECU per revision, just the software is changed. ie 258CH and 258CP is the same ECU, just the software is different. So when converting, you don't actually need to change the ECU.

When comparing 2.8 to 2.9 be sure that you have a REAL 2.9 as these appear to be rare these days.

Just the answer I was looking for, Thanks.

I knew cams, bore and inlet manifold were different but not the others.

Its a real 2.9 and its still in the car waiting for me to buy it. Engine numbers match V5 and its never had an engine change. 114k on the clock. I can have it with the ECU for £150.