My new purchase is a 2002 Golf VR6 4Motion. I got it at a very reasonable price as the previous owner had obviously made more enemies than friends:

19022012363_zpsc4bc7dbc.jpg

19022012362_zps4970c43f.jpg

19022012361_zps0ae23887.jpg

So the first job was to get the paint sorted, followed by a mammoth G3/G10/hardwax/polish/extra protection exterior valet:

23062012577_zps2e28a209.jpg

23062012576_zps9992fde8.jpg

18062012571_zpsc19bcae4.jpg

Followed by a full service including oil, filter, air and pollen filters, haldex oil and filter, and diff oil for good measure. While rolling around underneath I noticed that the rear discs were in a shocking state:

24062012578_zpse1e53d69.jpg

So I got those sorted too (standard OEM discs & Green Stuff pads):
24062012579_zpsda148d11.jpg

I also did a full interior wet valet as the previous owner was a dog owner and the car stank of dog. I've also been splurging on a few pieces of trim to replace broken bits (seat tilt handles, interior door handles, rear wiper squirter cover, etc).

My plans are to replace the wheels (the car is currently running an 'odd' alloy, and I dislike the standard rims) with these:

Wheelunedited_zps2ff0f2c0.jpg

which I plan on refurbing and 'de-Audi-ing'. I would also like to finish off eradicating the horrible fake wood trim from the car (bleugh!) and maybe an HID conversion.

Other than that, the plan is to keep it standard, and enjoy driving it!

Edited by himselfunknown

Cheers for the warm welcome guys.

I'm torn whether to do the alloys standard silver or anthracite. Hmmm!

I think it might need better tyres as I took it out for a spin earlier in the wet and it powerslides like crazy on corners, which is a bit disconcerting!

Immediate plans, other than wheels/tyres, is to replace the aircon pressure switch and get the aircon working, and keep nailing the bits of trim (need two new wing mirror covers for a start).

I've currently got carbon fibre wrap covering the centre console, which does make a big difference, but as the car has climatronic (or whatever it's called) rather than the standard dials, there are bits where the wood isn't covered up and looks a bit gash.

• 1 year later...

So a fair bit has happened in the past two years!! First, I had to do something about this:

Consolebeforebefore_zps75887d1f.jpg

So I cheated and bought a carbon wrap kit off ebay. It's not perfect, but a definite improvement!

consolebefore_zps6e62fc61.jpg

Originally, my plan was to use the car as a daily driver, but the small boot and fuel consumption soon killed that idea! So, instead I've been using the car for track days, which is a lot more fun!

However, it did mean that I soon decided that these:

OldBrakes_zps64614013.jpg

needed upgrading, so I went out and bought this lot:

R32Calipers_zpsb51f99e2.jpg

BrakeUpgrade_zps34959d49.jpg

YellaStuff_zpsf0cc0854.jpg

Some comparison shots:

NewVsold_zpsd4283bed.jpg

Wheelcomparison_zps0806c966.jpg

Fitted:

R32Brakes_zpsd7e799e7.jpg

brakes_zps87810898.jpg

These help it stop a lot quicker! However, now I need to make it go faster, and maybe hold the road a bit better. So I'm looking into getting it turbo/supercharged, so any advice or ideas greatly appreciated!

• 1 month later...

So I was browsing ebay looking for supercharger kits, when I came across this:

P5_zps7b22baca.jpg
P4_zps56c47baf.jpg
P3_zps2e9e72f8.jpg
P2_zpsd36421ae.jpg
P1_zps644b587a.jpg

Because under the bonnet was this:

P11_zpsaca12fed.jpg

Full spec list:

X-Reg (2000), Silver, 3 Door , 72500 Miles
Vf Engineering-Stage 2 Supercharger (approx 285bhp - supported with RR printouts)
Bilstein Coil over suspension
Standard 4motion 16" alloy wheels
Miltek one box-Cat back exhaust
Blue Haldex Controller
Forge Quickshift
Clear/Red/Clear Hella rear lights
Recaro Interior
VW manufactured Sat Nav
R32 Gearstick
MOMO silver steering wheel
R32 Front Bumper
Smoothed rear Bumper

which I think will make a much better track car!

I'm planning on swapping the brakes and wheels across from my black Golf, then selling the black Golf (or breaking it if it doesn't 'meet reserve').

The car has a few issues that need addressing, but hopefully nothing that will be too bad (ie expensive!).