Hi all, can someone tell me (everything) that needs doing when changing discs and pads on front and back. I know how to do the job, ie, compressing the piston and all. I have just heard that other things need doing too,ie ABS Rings, ABS Cogs, Wheel bearings... Thanks

Rear discs hold the racers for the bearings. You can get them out - with a chisel and hammer. Be ver gentle though cos if you damage the race youll need to get a new bearing.... You should be ok replacing just the discs and pads. The ABS rings are usually ok just try not to damage them when taking the front discs off. The sensor reads the edge. I replaced my discs and pads on my old VR and didnt need to replace any of the ABS kit so hopefully you should be ok.....

you've got abs rings on the rear as well, i personally wouldn't bother tring to replace rear bearings, for the price of new ones it's probably easier to renew,

i don't know how the abs rings are fixed but when i had my rears changed the garage knackered 1 getting if off, and from what i understand the abs sensors are a bit tempremental and can easily be knocked damaged,

my fronts need doing for the mot but i wont be tackling them because all the rear bolts ended up needing to be cut off because they were so rusted on, and i hate having a car in bits on the driveway and being unable to get it back together,

[ Edited Wed Mar 23 2005, 05:04PM ]

Yeah the bolts can be a little tricky- i had a 2 post ramp to use though ;-) Always handy having a can of WD40 and a blow torch if its really stuck though. Its not that hard just need to take your time- and robs right you must be very delicate with the ABS sensor that sits next to the ABS ring. From what i can remember they arent cheap either. If youve got the money personally id buy new wheel bearing if they havent already been replaced- theyre only 15 quid each. Ive already had to have one replaced so its probably going to save you grief if you intend on keeping the car......

the reluctor rings on the rear discs are sprung loaded meaning that when you take them off, if they've been on a while, will be slightly loose on your new discs. this will cause the abs to bring up random faults as the reluctor rings move under the spinning inertia of the moving wheel! its best to replace them tbh. and as rob said above, i wouldnt bother retaining current bearings for the price and piece of mind new ones give! never skimp on your braking system guys!!