Hi guys,

Just bought a new battery for my VR after the old one had just been completely drained after being of the road for 6months, it's started up now and then even drove it down to local garage to get MOT sorted but it just wouldn't start whilst at garage so didn't Bother with MOT and towed it back home, engine turns over but there is just no spark!

Any ideas would be grateful asIi want to get her on the road asap as I've missed my VR experience for a while and been stuck in a shitty Clio!!!

Do you have fuel?

Coil would be tested by putting a lead on to coil pack with a spark plug in the end held the the block or inlet etc get a friend to turn engine over a couple of times and watch for a spark, do for each coil but be super careful. I tried this test on my own and can tell you from experience a vr6 coilpack has some clout to it! Especially through your hand from touching the lead, up your arm and through your neck which was was touching bonnet trying to reach around to last plug lead at the same time as turning the engine over ;)

Sorry.. me not explaining very well, when I say have you got fuel I meant is fuel being injected. If you're in a quiet place, turn on ignition and listen for the fuel pump priming. You could have a fualty relay you see, which means it won't turn the ecu or fuel pump on or coilpack etc.

The obd1's suffer with the relays for starting mainly because they're a mechanical relay rather than electronic in the later obd2's.. also if you say the car hasn't been started in a while, in theory, sonething electrical such as coil etc shouldn't play up, however something mechanical that hasnt moved in a while could play up.

Only a thought lol

Also if the standard immobiliser kicks in, the car will run perfect for exactly 1 second then just cut out. Unless you have aftermarked immob which is at fault?