Stripped, track/fast road VR6

Thought id start a little project thread, hopefully it might be helpfull to anyone who wants to go the same route as me :)

I Joined waaaaay back in 2006, when I owned my 93 Golf VR6, which I sold to amember on here (Magic_tree)

Was a VW Parts advisor back then, now managing the dept (Just had the promotion)

Now also have my own business selling cars parts time, hope mods don't mind me doing a shameless plug (www.southwest-autos.co.uk)!

This is a stop gap while I save up a bit more and get another Lotus, and I know how much fun Vr's are so when this came up for sale (from a mate) I knew I had to have it.

The spec at the moment is:

1996 VR6

pair of uprated cams (Unknown make at the mo)

tubular exhaust manifold (Head wrapped)

decat

Scorpion exhaust

Enclosed induction kit

Koni shocks

Unkown make of springs

Uprated discs

Redstuff pads all round

stripped interior

Bucket seats

harnesses

I 'think' thats all - it needs a bit of work - im wanting to put it thorugh it's MOT as I need to be able to drive to track days, and expecting the worst once I got it on the ramps at work we found:

Both sills rotten

O/S tie road has play

2 tyres shot

front headlights and rear tail lights not working

I have got 2 new sills and a tie rod for the grand total of £55, and a tech at work is doing the welding for me, the only thing im stuck on is the wiring.

The brake lights, fog lights, main beam and side lights work, but the rear tail lights and dipped beam don't work - I have printed off all the interior wiring diagrams I need (The advantage of working for VW I suppose! :) ) so hoping to have this solved fairly quickly.

Aim is to have it MOT'd by January.

A few pics:

2011-09-24154404.jpg

2011-09-24154351.jpg

2011-09-24154343.jpg

2011-09-24162649.jpg

2011-09-24154413.jpg

2011-09-24154426.jpg

2011-09-24154433.jpg

As you can see, most of the interior is out - hence the black bar running across the front A pillars - that, along with a vertical bracing bar, is what the steering colomn is attached to - the wheel is mounted lower than standard, meaning I can have the seat further back (As im a tall git)

It is a right hoot on track, though I do have a list of things I will be carrying out:

Further strip back the wiring loom (I have a spare loom so I will be extending a few bits and pieces to tidy the loom up)

Make new seat runners for the seats and mount the drivers seat further back.

Fit my dished steering wheel

Make up a switch board (For the few bits I will need, horn button, ABS light etc)

Strip all the sound proofing out the inside, cut out all brackets etc I don't need

Spray the inside (smarten it up)

Re-seal the car - not waterproof at the moment as various bungs and seals are off - simple job.

Sell the chavtastic front fog lights, and make the space into extra cold air ducting.

Full service (I have done oil, but will do another change in a few hundred miles once the car is back being used)

Fix the exhaust - it is sat wonky

New tyres - and hopefully wheels if I can get some cheap enough

Poly windows (Pikey perspex way!)

I am unsure on the sunroof yet - it gets VERY hot in the Golf, and I may keep it so I can open it for ventilation lol - though I have had an idea so it may be going.....

The rust will be taken care of, and it might be sprayed - the aim is to have it all done with a budget (including the price of the car) of £650.

Excuse the state its in at the moment, as said wok has started, but no pictures yet - I will update as I go along :)

Russ

Small update, now have had arrive:

BBS Highline/late GTi alloys (Can't remember the name) with tyres

Sills (New)

Spax adjustable suspension

Door and boot seals

All im waiting on is another headlight switch (I think the one I have may be the wrong one) then I can continue with the wiring.

I have made a start tidying up the inside too, will start sanding it soon ready for a fresh coat of paint :)

Will be aiming to get down Pod in january, and see how do I in the Street Challenge - best time in my old Clio 172 was 14.2 @ 96 but to be fair the Clio had full interior and a full tank of fuel, so id really like to see the Golf get in the 13's - Only downside is I will be using road tyres, as my budget will not let me stretch to anything super grippy.

• 2 weeks later...

Small update again,

Welding is being done early January, and I have decided to get another complete loom - I want to route it differently interally as it currently is, and part of my loom is missing, so a bargain off Ebay came yesterday - full OBD2 loom, complete with fusebox, relays & fuses, OBD port (Which I am missing out of my current loom) [plus he kindly threw in the rear light and fuel pump loom also.

This coming weekend the alloys are going on, plus the wiring will be led out, excess cut and removed, and will start to be placed where I want it - not perminantly yet mind, as I don't want any possible heat damage when the welding is done.

Aim is to be fully road legal by end of Jan, and down Santa Pod in Febuary to see how we get on - I have a huge amount of work to still do, but im hoping to beat the 14.2 second time I laid down in my previous throttle bodied 172 :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Russ! You weren't exaggerating when you said it was 'stripped out' the other day lol! Its looking good- gonna really fly when its done.

Someone really worth looking up if you want the map sorted is CrazyDave on the Corrado Forum. He REALLY understands VR6s and mapped my old black VR and it was easily the best map I've had. It replaced the AmD map tat was on the car and was vastly superior to the Stealth Racing map that's on my current Rado. Good price too ;)

Here's a link to my gallery thread on the CF. Its quite long! Lol! Clicky

ps- if you can get a MK3 under 1000kg, it will be some achievement!

Well as it was a little warmer today, I had a good few hours on it, Dad came up and fitted my spare carpet on the floor of the garage, and I cracked on with the Golf.

2011-12-27114836.jpg

First job was to fit the VR6 Highline alloys I got a while back, as these are already sprayed black, I think they look pretty good against the green paintwork.

2011-12-27123846.jpg

2011-12-27123908.jpg

2011-12-27123915.jpg

Much better than the GTi alloys, and helps that it now has the correct sized tires on, instead of the 195 section ones on the Gti alloys.

Next on the list was fitting my other n/s headlight as the one in there had the wrong connection on it

2011-12-27124803.jpg

After that, I spent a little more time on the wiring

2011-12-27123933.jpg

2011-12-27123946.jpg

2011-12-27130841.jpg

At that point, Stu kindly turned up to help me, and he saw an earth wire that was not making a good contact, (Which I had stupidly missed) and after a load of fiddling around trying different wiring sections and different relays we managed to get the front dipped working!

2011-12-27144302.jpg

So now we are pretty much all up together for the MOT, just need the welding sorted in a few weeks, then I can actually start putting some miles on and get the wiring tidied up as it is currently thrown across the middle of the car lol

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...