battery light on - before changing alternator?

battery light is on the vr6 now and i have to charge the battery every 5 days or so, before i whip the alternator off is there anything else that can stop the battery from charging like dodgy earths, if so where are the earths for this? regards :-)

There is an earth under the battery tray worth checking.

Think there is also one on the block' date=' just follow the earth lead from the alternator.

[/quote']

cheers mate there is one in front of the battery tray by the washer bottle, and the black lead from the alternator attatches to the starter motor then onto the positive terminal. negative terminal goes into some block???? under the header tank and again onto the starter motor. cleaned everything and still battery light is on.

11.93v, to me, means that your battery is not being charged buddy.

Had the same on my passat and it sat at 11.93 for ages....untl I went for a drive wth music blasting and had no juice.

If you're buying off the bay, make sure you give your cars build year and/or engine code.

They should have the year of car/engine that the alternator fits or replaces.

90A instead of 70A is fine.

Look for the alternator for your car... 91 - 94 ect.

should have said in the pm ,that was for a 90 amp unit , assuming you had aircon ..

my supplier can no longer get the 70amp units. its possible the 90 amp ones have superseded the old ones, connections may be different sue to diff makes, i.e , valeo, bosch , lucas ..